Sign in to follow this  
FalconAF

Add on's for FSX

I'm having DS build me a computer with FSX deluxe loaded with all the updates. I was thinking of the best add on's to add for a more realistic flying experience. I'm looking at Active Sky X, Flight Environment X, Ultimate Terrain USA and My Traffic X. I have a couple of questions....1. Does Active Sky X interfere with Flight Environment X?2. Can you use real time weather download with both of the above?Any help will be appreciated.RegardsLamar

Regards

Lamar Wright

Guest NoobPilot

I can't help you with those questions (although I'm sure most people can) but I recommend that you add Ground Environment X to that list. It changes the textures to higher resolutions, reduces and aligns Autogen to give it a better effect with higher speed, and overall is one of the best addons available. I'm not a publisher, just an extremely satisfied customer. If, somehow, you do manage to find a bug, customer service is excellent. Also, check out the freeware program Flight Simulator Water Configurator, it makes the water look much, much better.

Guest JIMJAM

Remind me who DS is?First get FSX/SP2 running well before you pile on addons.They will do nothing but make it next to impossibe to troubleshoot and judge performance.Then one by one, install the addons.The "MUST" in my opinion are.GEX,UTX,FEX.Get that running good then I also use MytrafficX.I also use Xgraphics for the runway,taxiway texures but its optional to me.I had ActiveSky running for years but FSX weather generator is not all that bad. With all of the above plus addons and sceneries,your machine will be grunting.I used FE's clouds,sky and sunset.You can turn off activeskys clouds and use another set.In this case,Fe's clouds.With all of these, you can mix and match clouds,water,sky, ect ect but it does get overwhelming.If this is a store bought machine, first I would get off all that crap they bloat it with.Get the sim running well. Then start loading them. I started UTX, then GEX, then FEX.Get it looking the way you want and make changes and get the performance you want.Then add the rest.BTW- I disabled via Mytraffic the stock FSX ai and used their performance,low detail ai. BIG performace boost.Good Luck!

Guest JIMJAM

My best freind owns a computer store so I am lucky enough to just have to pay his cost for hardware.When I "tweek" it and it will not boot, I pay him with beer,food, to get it running again..I copied one of the Alienware computers that they listed for close to 5 grand and built it for less than 2.4 year financing on a machine that will lose it value quicker than a new Hummer and be obsolete in 6 months.Nice for outta the box though.Ok, back on topic.Getting the computer is the easy part.Getting all of the above loaded and seeing 10 fps over LA is the hard part.;(

Hey thanks.... DS is short for Digital Storm. They optimize your computer and O/C.... take all the bloat crap off. You have been very helpful...RegardsLamar

Regards

Lamar Wright

Hi Mike... yes DS is Digital Storm and you are correct, they do have nice computers... found that they were cheaper than Cyberpower, ABS, Ibuypower and many others. Their support is great!!!!!!!RegardsLamar

Regards

Lamar Wright

Guest JIMJAM

"bloat crap "What most store bought computers are preloaded with.Sorry for the wording.Good luck and let us know how it runs. Jim

Hey...you know I have a 6 year old alienware that I am going to gut it and build my own computer this winter. It will be my first build! RegardsLamar

Regards

Lamar Wright

Guest SkullxBones

I recommend you add the FSGenesis FSX bundle to your list, which includes their world mesh and a good landclass with it.

Hey thanks, I'll Genesis out. I was wondering about a good world mesh. Is it much of a performance hit?RegardsLamar

Regards

Lamar Wright

No hit with FS Genesis with the rig you are getting. And you'll be able to run all the rest of the stuff also without much problem...IF...Many people remember all the "FSX" related stuff. Your new rig out of the box will scream. Three months later, it will crawl if you don't spend some money on good utility programs to KEEP it running well.In addition to the above, I'd highly recommend you include the following in your budget of software purchases:1. A good Disk Management program for defrags, etc.2. A good Registry Repair program for regular registry maintenance.3. A good Anti-virus program. There are plenty of freeware ones available, I know, but you get what you pay for in this area. After doing 25 years of System Administrator duties, I can tell you the free ones off the Internet will NOT keep your computer as safe as a good payware one. Plus a good payware one will let you set it up so it won't interfere with your FSX sessions WHILE you leave it running. And if you use things like ActiveSky, or any other program that connects to the Internet while you are using FSX, you do NOT want to turn off your Anti-virus protection.

Rick Ryan

Guest harleyman52

>I'm having DS build me a computer with FSX deluxe loaded with>all the updates. I was thinking of the best add on's to add>for a more realistic flying experience. I'm looking at Active>Sky X, Flight Environment X, Ultimate Terrain USA and My>Traffic X. I have a couple of questions....>>1. Does Active Sky X interfere with Flight Environment X?>>2. Can you use real time weather download with both of the>above?>>Any help will be appreciated.>>Regards>>Lamar NO.....Active SkyX is a weather engine if bought without the graphics package.. For that is when FEX comes into play,as it displays highly redone and textures skys and water..You set it up to depict the clouds,etc,you want and off you go....They go hand in hand together....GEX will provide you more ground enhancements than any thing,along with UTX its fantastic....Here is my set up on my DS machine....FSX..Acceleration...FSGenesis..GEX...FEX...UTX...MyTrafficX..AS6.5 for weather engine...Plus addon planes... And its beautiful..... Case: Digital Storm 850Si Power Supply: 750W Corsair HX (Dual SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition)Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz (1066MHz FSB) (8MB Cache) overclocked 3.42Motherboard: nVidia 780i Core 2 Quad (nForce 780i SLI)Memory: 4GB DDR2 Corsair at 1066MHz Dominator (Dual Channel) (Extreme-Performance)Hard Drive 1: 150GB Western Digital Raptor (10K RPM) (16MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme SpeedHard Drive 2: 250GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)Video Card: 8800 Ultra EVGA 786Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi FPS Fatal1ty Champion (Includes Front I/O Unit)Cooling: Air Cooled Stage 3 WindTunnel (Copper Heatpipe Heatsink & Zalman Case Fans)Windows OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate (64-Bit Edition) (For Enthusiasts) If you want more info and help setting up your rig shoot me an E-Maildynaglide04@bellsouth.net