Sign in to follow this  
Art_P

It's always the other side

When I land at an GA airport with more than one runway and then exit the runway, it seems I'm always directed to parking on the other side of the airport. Then I have to turn around, taxi across the two runways and finally to parking. Is there anyway to know which GA parking you're going to be directed to use? Seems like real world aircraft always know which way to turn before exiting the runway.

AMD 3800X, Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT, AS Rock X570 Phantom Gaming 4, 32mb 3600 ram

Not sure rw you always know which way to turn..You usually study the airport diagram on the approach plate so you have an idea where the ga parking is.After that there are all kinds of options. When I went to Bar Harbor, Maine last week it was so crowded that I called the Fbo to ask where I should go once off the active and got directions from them.In other cases-there will be one of those human thingys waving at you and showing you where to go. With multiple fbo's on a field and possible self server pumps though you better make sure you want to go to the waving thingy! (I learned that lesson once by following the wavy person-then finding if I had taxied to the self serve pump 20 ft. away and filled it myself I would have saved 10 cents a gallon).At unfamilair towered GA airports-you can ask the ground controller once off the runway-which I always do. With the price of fuel now-I always investigate which fbo has the cheapest fuel. At some airports there can be many fbo's and not being familair you may not know where they are, though you might have a general idea. Upon contacting ground I say "going to Abstar air-unfamliar". At that point the ground controller will give you progressives (fs does it by showing arrows).Does fs have this sophistication yet-no.GeofaMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Guest JIMJAM

When I flew into KCRE-Myrtle Beach in the mid 80s, there was a taxiway that stopped and you either has to go right or left.Each direction had competing FBOs.Dead ahead on the ramp were always 2 golf cards side by side with very pretty girls waving,smiling and bouncing up and down.:-jumpy Sometimes they had signs,free coffee,sandwiches,golf passes ect.Now that was always a hard decision!There is nothing embarrassing about getting lost at a strange airport.I always no matter how hurried determined if my runway length requirements were met but never really studied the layout unless I had alot of time to spend.Eventually you learn to use the signs and now a days anyone who operates any vehicle on the ramp much take a test learning them.In KCae, my FBO was at the end of 11 and if I had to land on 29, rather than land, exit and then taxi for a mile, we would come in hot and float to the other end.But back to your queston."Seems like real world aircraft always know which way to turn before exiting the runway"I worked as a linemen for years and trust me, I could write a book on some of the crazy stuff Ive seen.Lights get ran over, Ive seen the big guys miss their taxiway and taxi on a inner taxiway and put their wings over the top of GA planes.Ive seen them get stuck,put a tire in a drainage ditch........And this is at controlled airports.At some uncontrolled airports, it often resembles the Wild West and more like Navigating the a Walmart parking lot.These things happen just as you scrape your wheel on a curb and cannot find your car in a parking lot.The important thing is that you do not do something that will get you KILLED!If you get lost ,STOP.Its better to sit and get your bearings than have your head betreen your legs reading a black and white small airport diagram in bad lighting than cross a runway by accident.You can get away with getting lost but cross a runway and man from the FAA will be in contact to "discuss" it.

Guest RonB49

There is a gauge available here in the library which will show you a diagram of any airport and its "AFCAD" parking spots right from your cockpit. I can't for the life of me remember what it is called. Can anyone help? R-

>When I land at an GA airport with more than one runway and>then exit the runway, it seems I'm always directed to parking>on the other side of the airport. Then I have to turn around,>taxi across the two runways and finally to parking. Is there>anyway to know which GA parking you're going to be directed to>use? If you want to correct this problem at an airport that you fly into often, you can use Airport Design Editor to relabel parking spaces to "north parking", "southeast parking" and so forth in place of just "GA parking". You will then be given choices to request parking from ground control in different locations on the airport.ArtBiostar TF560-A2+, Athlon 64X2-6000+, 4GB RAM, Geforce 8800GTS-320MB, 500W PSU, 250GB HD, FSX (SP1-SP2), Vista Home Premium 32 bit, CH Yoke & Pedals, 22" WS LCD monitor

Art