Sign in to follow this  
Virtualwombat

Back into FSX, 3 Questions

Hello,I stopped using FSX for a while, when I realized my system wasn't handling it too well. Well, I replaced my NV 7600GT with an 8800GT which I stupidly bought from Best Buy for $200, when after buying it my friend announce that he just sold an 8800GTS for $100, and that newegg.com has 8800GTOC's for $130, hmmm....... Anyway...All is good so far with FSX and my new 8800GT, infact everything looks good and runs well, HUGE difference over that old 7600GT. So I have four questions (added one after typing the subject line).One, quality freeware aircraft. There are many for FS9, some of my favorites are David Maltby's stuff (with VCs) the Rick Piper and co. HS748, etc. Can someone direct me to some good stuff for FSX or patches to use some of these in FSX.Two, quality airport scenery... I'm very happy with Mega Scenery and my Ultimate Terrain X as far as regular scenery goes, where can I find some good airports for FSX? I regularly and maybe mistakenly look at file sizes in these files and really don't see anything as far as FSX goes. Quality airports in my opinion, are George Grimshaw's KBOS, the BWI scenery, Shez's stuff, etc.Three, can someone point me to the FSX SP2 tweaking guides, haven't really see much and would like to improve my performance as much as possible since I know I don't have much headroom for extras now that I have UTX installed.Four, I was thinking of buying another 8800GT from newegg, how much would I gain from running two in SLI?Thanks all!Jeff(soon to be no longer flys on AWACS) :)

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

Unless you run high resolution monitor don't waste your money on SLI if you only play FSX. If you play other games then yeah go for it. You might want to check out Phil's recent FSX true model listhttp://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2008...ns-and-fsx.aspxAs far as scenery goes, there's some airports here and there. There are some really nice payware airports by Fly Tampa group, like St. Maarten and Kai Tak (sp?) IE hong kongI personally like the Acceleration addon, but you can and should download SP2 after you get FSX reinstalled. With Accel you get 3 new planes, F18 (awesome cockpit), P51 (same hehe), and a new helo which is interesting. Plus a ton more missions etc. Once you get Accleration or SP2 installed there's not a whole lot of tweaking you need to do. One thing I've done is change the amount of autogen trees and buildings per cell as they say, I add these lines to my FSX.cfg (under the TERRAIN section):TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=5000TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=1500You can tweak however you like. I prefer more trees in my autogen. One thing I forgot to say is there are some really nice FSX payware items you should get:Ultimate Terrain XFlight Environment XEaglesoft SR22 G3 TurboDreamfleet Piper DakotaRealAir SF260 and Decathlon packThose are IMHO some of the best addons for FSX

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Carenado has announced FSX only designed planes. I'm anxious for the Cessna 152. I fell off my seat when I got the A2A Stratocruiser and I like the CLS jets a lot.Lee

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

Four...No real help with SLI. Doesn't hurt, but probably not worth it.Three...people will post some tweaks that might help, but not many post sp2 tweaks do too much.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Freeware I'd download would include Dino's terrific Goshawk (only works with Acceleration though) and FTX Tasmania. The latter is a demo that covers the entire state, including payware quality airports. FTX also have a list of tweaks that they recommend but the minimum prerequisite is FSX SP2/Acceleration.Leave SLI alone unless you also run Crysis or other GPU-limted games.Cheers,Noel.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals