Sign in to follow this  
dolph98

New Traffic X from JF

Has anyone tried the new one? And if so is it worth the (almost) full price for the upgrade? I just cannot justify the re-buy if it is too similar to Traffic 2005.

Guest phineast

I just bought and installed Traffic X last night. Installation was smooth as silk and, so far, everything is fine. AI aircraft look a little shabby wehen you get really close up, but the frame rate hit is much less than with Ultimate Traffic.The best part is that Traffic X coordinates famously with the freeware program "GA-Traffic." (Ultimate Traffic would not let GA-Traffic run.) This, coupled with the GA traffic in Traffic X greatly increases the amount of GA (and lets me populate the world with working AI aircraft of my choosing and with my "company's" livery.) The tower simulator is fairly good. Radar is basic, and doesn't seem to show aircraft IDs (or maybe I just haven't discovered how to display them) Another drawback is that you can only monitor one ATC channel at a time. I would have liked to listen to ground AND tower, or approach AND tower. I haven't messed with the "Spotty" gizmo yet.Be aware, this traffic is NOT based on real-world schedules, but does use real-world airlines and paints. Generally, it assigns parking correctly. It also includes some military traffic and a few different GA aircraft.Is it worth $50? It is to me, as it lets me run "GA-traffic" I am also happy to swap the loss of detail when really close up for the increase in frame rates. I used to run 40% airline and 60% GA. Now I easily run 65% Airline and 100% GA PLUS the additional GA from GA-traffic at he same FPS rate. If your thing is flying tubes, you might want the realism of real timetable emulation and might want more detailed aircraft. For my passion for smaller birds, it fills my needs very well.I'll try to report back in a week or so, when I have had some more hours with Traffic X.

As usual - My Traffic had the first AI program developed specifically for FSX to hit the street.Just Flight has been working on this package since the day they got their patch out to make the previous version work with FSX.I understand they have created many new FSX specific AI models, which of course require new repaints.It should be more a new product, than an upgrade. There is not much in the FS2004 version which takes advantage of the capabilities of FSX, especially model and paint wise. Plus the reality is the extensive development necessary is what drives the cost.It's less an upgrade than a slight discount for purchasers of previous version.If you use Traffic 2005, I'd recommend getting the new version.I will and I only use it for testing - very little is used in my main AI, which used Ultimate Traffic as the wrapper. I do have over 800 individually installed airlines, including all WoA, UGA, MAIW and some PAI, along with airlines manually installed.I'll be real interested to see if they include FSX airport parking files.EDIT - It looks like any of the 99 AI models included which are carryovers from previous versions had to be revised/ restructured /recreated for FSX since they are advertised as DX-10 compatible.Don't see any notes about airport parking files.The previous customer price is 20% off, which seems fair to me for the amount of new content.I just wish the Dollar to Pound to Euro rate was not so bad right now.

Thanks guys for your opinions. Looks like i'll be picking this up. I really like the military inclusions, and that it works with GA as well.

Guest SkullxBones

I'd really like to hear from someone who has used this and MyTraffic X. I'm pretty happy with MyTraffic X, but willing to switch if this might be better.

AI aircraft look a little shabby wehen you get really>close up, but the frame rate hit is much less than with>Ultimate Traffic.How about a small screenshot to show what you mean by that statement?ThanksPaul

I have MyTRAFFIC X and I like it. The planes don't look good up close but I don't mind since the skies are fuller than default and the framerate is not bad considerinng my 60% traffic settings.Dolph