Sign in to follow this  
RFields5421

FSX AFRICA LANDCLASS - Runway Elevation Issues

Thanks to all for their contribution - it is much appreciated. I'm still flying in Africa and do get "holes" that you cannot get in or get out unless you go into slew mode. Now where the problem realy comes into play is when you fly for virtual money (FS Econnomy) and VATSIM - it removes the realism a little bit. But as it was mentioned - it is a simulation and relatively cheap entertainment as well - so I'll live by the "fudged" runways.VATSAF memberwww.vatsaf.co.za

Now if anyone can give me in a paragraph which tools to use, I'll step through Africa and try to fix the issues - I know it's going to take a long time, but what the heck, it's part of my hobby.CheersP

You must have FSX Deluxe and have the SDK installed and updated to SP-1 or better. The SDK version needs to match your version of FSX but SP2-Acceleration offers the least issues (there are some airports which were moved, updated, changed with SP1 and some more with SP2).Download Jon Masterson's Airport Design Editor - ADE - it is Avsim Libraryhttp://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID...&Go=Change+ViewYou will need version 1.20. You can add the updates manually, or the program has an automatic update download tool.You will need to setup ADE to be able to find your install of FSX and to find the BGLComp.exe file from the SDK.When you find a bad airport - open the Stock Airport in ADE.Use FSX and the Connect option to slew to the corners of the default airport polygon - creating a new polygon in ADE. Set that Polygon as Type "Exclude Specific" and Tag "Airport Backgrounds Flattens MaskClassMap Autogen"Use the ADE Tool to Change Airport Altitude to the setting which matches the mesh/ real world.Create a new polygon just slightly larger than the old one - set it to Type "Airport Background" and Tag "Flatten Mask Class Map Exclude Autogen"After you have created the new background polygon and have changed the elevation - go back and right click / Edit Object click on the polygon and make sure the polygon is set to the new correct altitude.Save the file and compile the airport and test.There will be three or four files created by ADE depending on how you set up the program.In the Addon SceneryScenery folder:The ICAO_ADE.BGL file which is like FS2004 AFCAD dataThe ICAO_ADE_CVX.BGL file which holds the polygon dataA ICAO_ADE_OBJ.BGL file may be created if you want to have airport scenery objects separate from the airport ground data.In the SceneryWorldScenery folder will be a file ICAO_ADE_ALT.bgl which is the file necessary to make FS realize the airport has an altitude different from the default setting. It must be in that folder and no where else.One other item, you are probably going to want to change the Land Class for some areas around the airport if you do not have an addon product. Since most of the airports in FSX appear in the middle of nowhere, not near towns.You can do that with ADE, and the data is compiled into the CVX file. There is no need in FSX to put Land Class into separate files and folders.As I said previously, I'm working my way through Angola. Since I'm apparently losing my job very soon - I should have plenty of free time to finish up that country this month.One other item - file naming.Using the system:ICAOToolAuthorScenerymakes it a lot easier to identify, find and avoid duplicates, locate all the files for an airport, etc.Such as:FNLU_ADE_RJF_Default.bglFNLU_ADE_RJF_FSGMesh.bglAt this point I do not think AFX and FSXPlanner will create polygons and .CVX files.

So much said in so little space. Thanks Reggie it is well stated - sorry to hear about the job. I'll definately get the s/w and start right away - something I wanted to learn for quite a while, but never found the opportunity - well it has arrived.CheersP

Some time ago I went through an exercise to 'blend' the terrainsurrounding some airports that were sitting on plateaus fromthe runway altitude to the altitude of the surrounding terrainsome distance out.I used SBuilderX abd created 'sloped flattens' ( CVX files )to remove the abrupt elevation transitions and create a more'natural' looking transition.I used this technique the areas around KLSV, KTPH, and TNX.I uploaded those scenery updates to the library here. Youmight have a look at those to get an idea of what can be done.At one time I had posted some detailed information on the processalong with JPG examples of the 'sloped flattens' but I don't recallif it was in these forums or at fsdeveloper.com.I know there is a tutorial (Terrain_Design_for_Flight_Simulator_X.html)that should be in the library that addresses 'sloped flatten' use. Paul

Wide-5.jpg

HI Guys,Another thing to bear in mind: don't assume the default airport's location is correct. Most International and Regional airports, from my experience are pretty accurate, at least in the US, but most smaller airports in the rest of the world, again from my experience, do not match well when juxtaposed against Google Earth or Virtual earth. Many are off by anywhere from several tens of meters to many kilometers, as was the case in Mexico.Many times there is very little terrain doctoring needed once these airports are moved to their correct locations. Especially in hilly ormountainous terrain, simply moving the airport a few tens or hundreds of meters to where it >really< is, will adequately fix many Plateau issues.And we can't blame MS for a lot of this stuff because they are simply using published data, which is often not accurate, especially in the third-world wilds. Garbage in/garbage out, as they say.Even in Hawaii, part of the US, for instance, I have found that Rogers Airport on the south shore of Oahu, is off by a few hundred meters south. Same with XBEL (Bellows AFB, now a recreational area) on the eastern shores. -------Justinhttp://www.fsgenesis.netHigh Quality Scenery for FS200x

Justin - Toposim

http://www.toposim.net

And of course many smaller airports are off location because their survey data is non-WGS84 - so there is an inherent 100M mislocation at 0E.