Sign in to follow this  
ORN

DX 9 or 10: What's Better??

I have been waiting for two years to upgrade to FSX from FS9, since the AVSIM convention in Virginia. I figure rather than frustrate myself with an inferior machine and performance, I'd give the hardware some time to catch up as long as FS9 is running well on my current machine. One of the things I remember reading over the past two years was the anticipation of DX10 arriving and vastly improving the performance of FSX over DX9. I just opened my latest edition of PC Pilot, and on page 5 under "X-Plane the Benefits" it says: "Firstly, FSX does benefit from more powerful DX10-capable hardware, particularly graphics cards. However, the extra demand DX10 software places on computer systems results in a significant loss of frame rates. Consequently FSX is primarily designed to run under DX9."OK, now I am really confused. Can anyone sort this out? Should I get a new system with Vista installed and backgrade to DX9?? Any other advice toward a new system for best performance without breaking the bank would be greatly be appreciated before I make that trip to Best Buy. Thanks. Tom

Lots of long threads about this back in the past...Boiling it down - DX10 in FSX is a "preview mode". It is not 100% stable, and is mainly considered a technology demonstration versus a stable platform. Granted, some people use and enjoy the DX10 mode FSX has, but there are some hiccups which, to some users, are considered show stoppers.You can select whether or not to use the DX10 mode when you have Vista and a DX10 capable card - you will not automatically be forced into using DX10 with Vista. If you get a capable computer, try it out! But know that most FSX/Vista pilots choose to use the DX9 mode at this point. They look very similar!-Greg

Get a new system with Vista installed and you can run FSX in DX9 or DX10 Preview mode (there is no "back grading" needed).DX10 was not fully implemented in FSX (hence why its termed DX10 Preview within FSX)so there are some graphic issues with running in DX10 Preview mode.

Thanks guys. It's nice to know you can choose between the two!:-) According to the article in PCP, you're right - stick with DX9. Tom

I'm just trying out this too. New mainboard and processor.This is DX10:1. Shimmering! And that's all over the place, even taxiways/runways. The best result I've got is with just about every setting in nHancer left to appliction.2. Progressive Taxi ... gone.3. Cockpit tooltips ... gone.4. Water: Unbelivable good, slider full right with no fps impact.5. Bloom: Cool but not essencial. No fps impact.6. Shadows in cockpit, actually I don't like them ... too jagged.This is DX9:1. No shimmering after some nHancer tweaking.2. Tooltips and progressive taxi back.3. Bloom had to go, too much fps impact, but I really can live without it ...4. Water slider had to go back a few notches due to fps hit, and the water is not half as nice as with DX10.5. No jagged shadows in the pit ...Verdict? I use DX10 only for float planes where water is most important, planes are simple (no need for tool tips) and progressive taxi and shaky runways doesn't matter.Even the Aerosoft F16 looks better with DX9, ok