Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

The AVSIM Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

A quick note on proper Boeing 707 Bleed Air & T/C usage

Featured Replies

Hi all, I've been reading the AA 707 manual and I wanted to share what learned about engine bleeds and when to use them.

An important point to note is the 'bleed air flow is variable with throttle changes and should not be used exclusively in preference to T/C (turbocompressors) except where cabin cooling is a problem."

I made a 707 full flight + systems guide based on the manuals I've read if it helps anyone.

https://youtube.com/live/7EENovA2yFs?feature=share

Furthermore, you don't want to cause 'excessive cabin pressure surge' by operating too many bleeds and T/Cs at the same time.

During takeoff according to my UAL B720 manual, one T/C should be operating and no engine bleeds.

Between FL 150 and 320 the said manual also recommends around 2 T/Cs and 1 Engine Bleed, though the addon has 3 T/Cs which should suffice,

I saw a couple of prevalent flightsim youtubers in their 707 tutorials opening all 4 engine bleeds after start.

This is not the correct procedure as far as I know.

And they did not have any problems and did not crash!!

9 hours ago, TWSY said:

And they did not have any problems and did not crash!!

I mean, it's a video game. It's hard to actually have problems lol.

But he makes a great point, that part of what makes the classic jets interesting is a whole different level of systems babysitting being required. There's a reason an FE was a requirement. I would think that people interested in learning about the classics would appreciate this kind of info.

Andrew Crowley

  • Author
14 minutes ago, Stearmandriver said:

I mean, it's a video game. It's hard to actually have problems lol.

But he makes a great point, that part of what makes the classic jets interesting is a whole different level of systems babysitting being required. There's a reason an FE was a requirement. I would think that people interested in learning about the classics would appreciate this kind of info.

FE's sure did have their job cut out :)

On 8/22/2026 at 11:49 AM, Joshua757 said:

Hi all, I've been reading the AA 707 manual and I wanted to share what learned about engine bleeds and when to use them.

An important point to note is the 'bleed air flow is variable with throttle changes and should not be used exclusively in preference to T/C (turbocompressors) except where cabin cooling is a problem."

I made a 707 full flight + systems guide based on the manuals I've read if it helps anyone.

https://youtube.com/live/7EENovA2yFs?feature=share

Furthermore, you don't want to cause 'excessive cabin pressure surge' by operating too many bleeds and T/Cs at the same time.

During takeoff according to my UAL B720 manual, one T/C should be operating and no engine bleeds.

Between FL 150 and 320 the said manual also recommends around 2 T/Cs and 1 Engine Bleed, though the addon has 3 T/Cs which should suffice,

I saw a couple of prevalent flightsim youtubers in their 707 tutorials opening all 4 engine bleeds after start.

This is not the correct procedure as far as I know.

NERD!! 🤓 🤙

Now THAT is genuinely interesting!

Those kinda details are the reasons I end up liking the Tomcat & Phantom more than the Hornet & Viper. Just more interesting and more fun to fly than the so-called Electric Jets😎

FWIW, My dad said he never liked acting as FE and was one of the reasons he mostly stuck with 737’s over his career.

  • Author
58 minutes ago, UrgentSiesta said:

NERD!! 🤓 🤙

Now THAT is genuinely interesting!

Those kinda details are the reasons I end up liking the Tomcat & Phantom more than the Hornet & Viper. Just more interesting and more fun to fly than the so-called Electric Jets😎

FWIW, My dad said he never liked acting as FE and was one of the reasons he mostly stuck with 737’s over his career.

Haha, you could definitely call me that. I've been diving into some CBT recently and I find it rewarding to know quirks and understand why things are done the way they are.

So your dad was a FE? Cool! Which planes ?

1 hour ago, Joshua757 said:

Haha, you could definitely call me that. I've been diving into some CBT recently and I find it rewarding to know quirks and understand why things are done the way they are.

So your dad was a FE? Cool! Which planes ?

Yep - I’ve learned a TON of stuff digging through NATOPS and many other Mil documents I’ve scrounged up than any of the dev supplied manuals.

my dad flew a few: P2V Neptune for the USN, Convair 340, Captain on 727 & 737, FE on DC10, and finished up his career as an IP for GulfStream, mainly IV’s & V’s (mostly Level D sims, but he also did delivery flights and IRL training flights). I remember being shocked when he told me the new GulfStream pilots could get Type Rated without flying the actual airplane (!).

There’s a few others I don’t know about, like what basic trainer (probably the USN Mentor or similar), and perhaps some other older ‘liners.

  • Author
3 minutes ago, UrgentSiesta said:

Yep - I’ve learned a TON of stuff digging through NATOPS and many other Mil documents I’ve scrounged up than any of the dev supplied manuals.

my dad flew a few: P2V Neptune for the USN, Convair 340, Captain on 727 & 737, FE on DC10, and finished up his career as an IP for GulfStream, mainly IV’s & V’s (mostly Level D sims, but he also did delivery flights and IRL training flights). I remember being shocked when he told me the new GulfStream pilots could get Type Rated without flying the actual airplane (!).

There’s a few others I don’t know about, like what basic trainer (probably the USN Mentor or similar), and perhaps some other older ‘liners.

Wow, what a diverse and varied fleet! Very nice. He must have lots of interesting stories to tell. I didn't know that about the gulfstream either 😄

  • Author
17 hours ago, UrgentSiesta said:

Yep - I’ve learned a TON of stuff digging through NATOPS and many other Mil documents I’ve scrounged up than any of the dev supplied manuals.

my dad flew a few: P2V Neptune for the USN, Convair 340, Captain on 727 & 737, FE on DC10, and finished up his career as an IP for GulfStream, mainly IV’s & V’s (mostly Level D sims, but he also did delivery flights and IRL training flights). I remember being shocked when he told me the new GulfStream pilots could get Type Rated without flying the actual airplane (!).

There’s a few others I don’t know about, like what basic trainer (probably the USN Mentor or similar), and perhaps some other older ‘liners.

BTW, did your dad having flown the 737 a lot have any opinions on the A320? :)

1 hour ago, Joshua757 said:

BTW, did your dad having flown the 737 a lot have any opinions on the A320? :)

TBH it never came up as a topic. 🤙

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.