Sign in to follow this  
Guest christianholmes

Want to go flying tommorrow?

Guest christianholmes

This is last minute, but my brother and I are going to fly out of New Haven at noon, and go somewhere for lunch- probably Newport or Block Island. I'm trying to build cross-country hours toward my instrument rating which I plan on doing next summer. If anybody local wants to hop in we'd love the company. Only catch is we're big guys- both about 195, so we'll probably be flying at the tabs which means you can't be 400 lbs- sorry, not a personal thing- but I am a stickler for those MGTWs... It will be cold, so performance should be good, but I'm not taking any chances if the W&B is out of whack...Call my cell at two zero tree, six seven five, two five four five if you might want to go. Up for other ideas too... just has to be 50 miles from New Haven. Supposedly some cool restaurants out on Long Island too- never been there.Might be a little windy too, so if you don't like the bumps then either you can get some experience and hope you overcome it, or decide it's not for you. I'd like to get a crosswind landing in, so Block Island is always good for that. If you're a PPL or greater and want to pitch in for the rental then you could fly a leg if you want. Taking a PA28-161 BTW- I have yet to get my complex and get checked out in the Arrow, although I plan on doing that this winter.

Just pop over to EGTE and I'll come with you ;-)

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest fullstoplanding

Chris,If I lived nearer, I would have loved to go along. I would have helped with the expenses, too... just for the ride, etc. You appear to be good company and a kind person to boot. Roger

Guest christianholmes

Well, It was fun. Nice day- almost unlimited visibility and great frame rates haha! I am quickly outgrowing the Warrior, although we were getting about 115 knots cruise in the cold air. I definitely want to get my complex in the Arrow soon- that will be my next rating- maybe later this winter, but I have to payoff some of my credit card debt first. Man, this is a seriously expensive hobby. I guess it beats being a drug addict right? Although there are parallels between the two- I can't seem to get enough of it! My approaches have been high- I think I'm having trouble adjusting to the colder air- I'll have to go out and bang out 15 touch and gos soon and see if I can get a bit more stabilized. My instructor always said there's really nothing wrong with being high- much better than being low- but I was always right on the GS when I'd turn final a few months ago.

I was going for an arrow (after an archer) but ended up with a debonair for 11 years-now a Baron. You can't ever go too fast...not happy with less that 186 knts. now...Compared to golfing and boating I don't think flying is so bad-but as a fellow drug addict to flying I can come up with some good excuses..

*DANGNABBIT* (censored)I'd have driven down to HVN and hitched a ride back home if you were heading in this direction. :) I wish I had seen this just a little earlier than right now! Was the flight choppy?Cheers,-Greg

Guest christianholmes

It wasn't bad actually- pretty smooth. Saturday was choppy out to Farmingdale.One of these days Greg I'll pick you up in Providence and we'll go out to Block for some lunch.