Sign in to follow this  
tunnelcat

er...excuse me. Are you missing a part of your wing?

Ummmm, I'd hate to be flying on that airline/plane if they don't even know there is a missing part!I was recently perusing through some old LIFE magazines and found an old 1960's article about an engine fire on a 707. The right side outer engine caught fire in flight, eventually burning through the outer portion of the wing, dropping the engine and tip of the wing assembly in somebody's parking lot below, missing any people fortunately. The pilot was able to fly the aircraft and land, even without the missing wing section, aileron and slat. Someone on the ground even got a picture of the aircraft flying overhead, trailing flames and smoke!Kim

Sadly, they don't show the pictures, but the article is at this address:http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/...33903-1,00.htmlI remember looking through a time life book and it had that accident in it, along with photo's a passenger took outside the window, plus a few that someone driving along a highway took. It's really something to see! I wish I had the book in front of me, and a scanner so I could show them, but I have neither here with me.

I have a scanner and the original magazine article. If anybody's interested, I can scan the pictures and post it if someone wants to tell me where to do so and if it's legal to display copyrighted material there.Kim