Sign in to follow this  
Guest simagic3d

Gmax export: MakeMDL

After making several models in X-Plane, I am working on building one of my aircraft for MSFS. I have completed the basic fuselage/wing package in Gmax and want to be sure I can save it to an .mdl file before I go any further. So far, I can't.I was sure to use the version of Gmax provided on the MS disk, so it would have the export function enabled. I have loaded Gmax into a root folder on my C: drive. I placed the makemdl .exe in the plug-ins folder. But when I try to browse for my .gmax model in the dialogue box that pops up on clicking "export", it does not recognize any .gmax models. If I type in the model name (C:Gmaxscenesxlnt11f.gmax), a dialogue replies that it does not recognize the file type. Am I missing something?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

> Am I missing something?Yep... the "FSModelExp.dle" plugin interface file.You can get it in the library. Just drop it into theplugin's folder and you'll then see two new exportformats: BGL, and MDL.Also VERY good to get "MiddleMan" as well. Free.Drop it into the same place and you'll then get aninterface that allows to to set the options forMakeMDL since you can't do so went it's actuallyprocessing your file. MiddleMan steps in betweenand passes your choices on to MakeMDL.

The BGL option did not arise. How can I convert the MDL to BGL ? The MDLtoBGL seems do be not applicable for FS2004 and scenery model.Jose.

>The BGL option did not arise. How can I convert the MDL to>BGL ? The MDLtoBGL seems do be not applicable for FS2004 and>scenery model.>Jose.Actually, the FS9 version of the exporter does NOT export .BGL at all. In only exports:Flightsim Scenery Objects (*.MDL)Flightsim Aircraft Objects (*.MDL)After the export, MakeMDL will generate an xxx.XML file and a .MDL file for Scenery, and then execute BGLComp.exe which in turn compiles a xxx.BGL file for Scenery objects.If you choose the "Flightsim Aircraft Objects" export option, then MakeMDL will generate and compile the aircraft xxx.MDL file automatically.I also HIGHLY recommend MiddleMan and ModelCommander in the export path. If you would like my "Plug-n-Play" setup, write to me at n4gix@comcast.net and I'll send it along. You just extract all the files to your C:GMaxgamepacksFS2004plugins folder and have fun! ;)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/129126.jpg

>But when I try to browse for my .gmax model in the dialogue>box that pops up on clicking "export", it does not recognize>any .gmax models. If I type in the model name>(C:Gmaxscenesxlnt11f.gmax), a dialogue replies that it does>not recognize the file type. Am I missing something?Er, you ARE loading the .gmax model into GMax BEFORE you try to export it, right? ;)