Sign in to follow this  
Guest harvey crosby

XML help needed for EGT gauge please

Guest harvey crosby

I give up! I cannot find any documentation of the various "Value" parameters in XML gauges, which appear to have more or less plain English phrases. Can anyone please explain what A:Value I should be using for the control knob element for an EGT gauge bug (reference pointer) - and what A:Value for the bug needle?

There isn't one... You will need to use a "custom variable" of the form G:Var1 - 9, or L:egt_bug. I prefer the L: type myself, (a) because you can use a "meaningful name" and (:( they are global between gauges, meaning that you can control the variable in one gauge and have the actual pointer in a separate gauge if you like.BTW, all the "documentation," such as it is, may be found in the "Panels and Gauges SDK." I also highly recommend Arne Bartels "XML Guide" which may be found in the library. I don't have the filename handy, but a search on his name will locate it for you. :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest harvey crosby

Thanks Bill, I'll give it a go. But - the second part of my query: the Value for the bug needle itself? Surely that must exist, and must relate to actual EGT somehow, otherwise how does it know where on the gauge to point to? ( I've read both the SDK docs and Arne's guide but still find the XML gauges a bit of a struggle! )

Hi,I use for the needle of engine nr.1: ( A:General eng1 exhaust gas temperature, celsius)Surely you can adapt it for your own gauge.Hope it helps,Jan"Beatus Ille Procul Negotiis"

Guest harvey crosby

Thanks Jan but isn't that for the EGT needle? I have those working fine - it's the BUG needle I'm trying to control.

Sorry, of course.I use:... ( G:Var1) 10 /...EGT Bug Decrease ( G:Var1) -- 0 max (>G:Var1)EGT Bug Increase ( G:Var1) ++ 50 min (>G:Var1)...Adapt the "scales" according preferences.Hope it helps,Jan"Beatus Ille Procul Negotiis"

Guest harvey crosby

Yep, brilliant - thank you, I can adapt that. I had been trying to use the (documented) EGT1_DEC and EGT1_INC with EGT1_SET. Puzzled why they didn't seem to do what they are supposed to but probably it was the way I was doing it. I'll have to study your code to see if I can figure out what is going on there!

Hi,I think there is no A:Var for K:EGT_INC etc.So i use a G:Var (L:Var also possible).Jan"Beatus Ille Procul Negotiis"

Guest harvey crosby

>sigh< Everything was working fine ... but ... the gauge I'm doing goes in a panel which has a pop-up for the engine gauges. It pops up and operates perfectly - but the large and small versions are independent. If I set the bug on one it doesn't change on the other ... Do I deduce that G:Vars are not only specific to a gauge, but to each *instance* of that gauge? (Which could be useful but not in this situation). I tried to use L: instead but then it didn't work at all - probably the rest of the syntax is wrong. Help!

Hi, didn't test, but you could try:Decrease: (L:EGTBug,number) 10 - 0 max (>L:EGTBug,number)Increase: (L:EGTBug,number) 10 + 100 min (>L:EGTBug,number)Try to vary with the 10 and 100.Hope it helps,Jan"Beatus Ille Procul Negotiis"

Guest harvey crosby

no. dead.

Guest harvey crosby

sorry - misunderstood something - not dead at all - YEAH, it works!! Jan - many, many thanks for your perseverance with this gauge novice. I have to tidy up the scaling in the code, but here's what you've been helping with: it's a dual EGT gauge for the Flight1 Cessna 421C - part of a project to make a co-pilot panel to run on a second monitor. http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/81407.jpg

Hi,This is a tested code.Just adapt coordinates and values etc.................. (L:egt,number)................EGT Bug - (L:egt,number) 50 - 0 max (>L:egt,number)EGT Bug + (L:egt,number) 50 + 1000 min (>L:egt,number)............Hope it helps,PS. Sorry, you were already set, nice work!Jan"Beatus Ille Procul Negotiis"

Guest Karl R Pettersen

From the looks of it, your gauge seems to operate on an absolute scale. I'm not sure if the C have a different kind of gauge, but on the C421B, I'm told (aircraft manual) that the EGT is a gauge showing only relative values (range 0-5 I think).When leaning for 75

Guest harvey crosby

Thanks for that. I've taken readings from those displayed in the gauges supplied by Flight1 (similar range) and from what RAM say about e.g. shock cooling (an issue for these engines) http://www.ramaircraft.com/Catalog/Mainten...hockcooling.htm, as I chose to use a RAM gauge which appeared to be the one I've seen in photos of typical 421C panels - although I notice they actually recommend a "range marked" gauge, which is presumably what you mean? Opinions I've read about optimum cruise lean seem to vary between 1400 - 1500F (on the Flight1, peak seems to be about 1600-1650 at altitude). Alas, I don't have access to a real aircraft, so any advice welcome!