Sign in to follow this  
tunnelcat

Deconstructing a 747

I watched an interesting show on National Geographic Channel the other night. It was about how they went about scrapping a 747. Kind of sad but fascinating. You guys might want to check it out if you have cable and are interested. The show is called 'Man Made-Deconstructing a 747'. A lot goes into tearing apart something that big and heavy and saving as much as possible for reuse.Kim

Guest Eek

Yeah, I don't think I could bear to watch. :( EwingKATLAlcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a store, not a government agency.MSI K8N Neo2 PlatinumAMD Opteron 185 2.6 Ghz Dual Core2GB Kingston HyperX (2X1GB) Dual Channel DDR 2-3-2-6 @ 1TXFX nVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS 256MB DDR3 AGPSound Blaster Audigy LSSilverStone Decathlon 750W +12v@60A +5v@30AFS9.1 on WinXPPro (SP1)

OK everybody, the show is on again Thursday May 8, 2008 at 2PM in the western U.S. time zone on the Hi Def National Geographic Channel. The correct show title is 'Break it Down: Plane', sorry for the earlier posting error. This is a hard show to find! There is no permanent link referencing it at nationalgeographic.com either. Every search on their site and Google leads to pages that don't mention it.It is interesting to watch and see the myriad of parts and where they are located on the plane. One fact I didn't know about was the use of depleted uranium ingots in the tail to get the center of gravity correct. It had to be specially handled in the scrapping of the plane. I still found it hard to watch them tear apart such a grand old 747.Kim