Sign in to follow this  
phjvh

Autopilot Climb Switch

Guest A320 Co-Pilot

I am working on a autopilot climb switch, what I want is to be able to press one button (CLM) after take off and this will set vertical speed to 2000fpm. And also set the IAS in the autopilot.I have looked through the K:var and see there are lots of varibles for vertical speed, but I do not know how to get it to hold 2000 ft.I hope there is someone who can help as I have tried, and can not get my head round this one. :-hmmm

Guest A320 Co-Pilot

Have sorted a switch looks like this:(L:Level Change, bool)(L:Level Change, bool) 0 == if{ 1 (>K:AP_VS_HOLD) }(L:Level Change, bool) ! (>L:Level Change, bool)now I need to put the 2000fpm, but where :-hmmm

Hi,Try this:(L:Level Change,bool) ! (>L:Level Change,bool) (L:Level Change,bool) if{ 2000 (>K:AP_VS_VAR_SET_ENGLISH) "speed you want" (>K:AP_PANEL_SPEED_SET) } els{ 0 (>K:AP_VS_VAR_SET_ENGLISH) }Hope it helps,Jan"Beatus Ille Procul Negotiis"

Guest A320 Co-Pilot

Thanks for the reply JanThis set the VS window to 2000fpm but does not hold 2000fpm unless VS in the autopilot is engaged.So with your help I have got one part right, now I want it to hold 2000fpm.Here is what I am trying to do.On taking off, after gear up, I want to be able to press CLM button and this will maintain climb of 2000fpm with AP master on. But not turn the Altitude Hold on or the Vertical Speed on in the Main Autopilot.So what I am asking is can one switch do this ? Can one Click do more than one thing. e.g. Set 2000 fpm and engage vs hold. Or is my value wrong.(L:Level Change, bool)(L:Level Change, bool) 0 == if{ 1 (>A:AUTOPILOT VERTICAL HOLD) }(L:Level Change,bool) ! (>L:Level Change,bool) (L:Level Change,bool) if { 2000 (>K:AP_VS_VAR_SET_ENGLISH)

Guest A320 Co-Pilot

Thanks for that Tom, has given me some other thing to try but still does not work as I want it to yet.

I thought the vertical speed component was only valid when there is a difference between current altitude and target altitude in an active autopilot. The autopilot controls the climb (or decent) of the aircraft to the set altitude using a target vertical speed (a default is set in the aircraft.cfg)[autopilot]autopilot_available=1 flight_director_available=1 default_vertical_speed=1800

>I thought the vertical speed component was only valid when>there is a difference between current altitude and target>altitude in an active autopilot. The autopilot controls the>climb (or decent) of the aircraft to the set altitude using a>target vertical speed (a default is set in the aircraft.cfg)>>[autopilot]>autopilot_available=1 >flight_director_available=1 >default_vertical_speed=1800That is absolutely true. If you read the linked thread more closely, you'll notice that I did NOT use VS in my solution, but instead 'faked it' through use of the AP_PITCH command.By providing an appropriate variable, AP_PITCH will be chasing a moving target, since the "target altitude" is always 100' above or below the current altitude, depending on whether you command an ascent or descent... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest A320 Co-Pilot

After hours of trying still unable to get it to work, even using AP_PITCH. So have decided to make the switch select 2000fpm, and engage the defaut autopilot VS ALT HOLD(AP_PANEL_ALTITUDE_HOLD), But when I do this the VS and ALT HOLD flash on and off when the CLM Switch is Off. :-zhelp

Hi,When CLM is selected, the a/c pitchs for a 2000 fpm climb. Does it have to level off automatically if MCP altitude is reached, or it keeps climbing further away?Tom

Guest A320 Co-Pilot

When MCP is reached the autopilot stops climbing at 2000fpm, but does not hold altitude as the ALT HOLD SWITCH flicks on and off and can not be turned on or off by clicking on it.This is the code.(L:Level Change, bool)(L:Level Change, bool) 0 == if{ 1 (>K:AP_PANEL_ALTITUDE_HOLD) }(L:Level Change,bool) ! (>L:Level Change,bool) if { 2000 (>K:AP_VS_VAR_SET_ENGLISH)I have a payware BAe146 and to climb you have to set the climb rate using flight yoke then press select VS HOLD to hold the climb, but these gauges are in C so I guess it can not be done in XML. Have not given up yet though, anybody see a problem with the above code or ideas please post.

Hi,You could try:(L:Level Change, bool) 0 == if{ (>K:AP_PANEL_ALTITUDE_ON) }or, better(?), leave the !(L:Level Change,bool) ! (>L:Level Change,bool) (L:Level Change,bool) if { 2000 (>K:AP_VS_VAR_SET_ENGLISH) (>K:AP_PANEL_ALTITUDE_ON) } els{ (>K:AP_PANEL_ALTITUDE_OFF) } Jan"Beatus Ille Procul Negotiis"