Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

Memory Full of XML Variables!

Does anyone have ANY idea why on earth I can see ~366 registered XML variables in memory when I 'peek at them' via Doug Dawson's xml_id.gau???Some of them are from the Cirrus SR20/22 CAPS system, Dreamfleeet's A36, somebody's ERJ, etc. I can reboot the computer, load FS9 and select just the Beechjet 400A, and suddenly all these "other" XML variables show up, in addition to the ones I am creating in the B400 gauge set!!!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest N66FC Raptor

Hi Bill, I don't know if this matters but .. PCs with large amounts of RAM will still retain the information in the RAM if you're doing a 'Warm Boot' (eg. Choosing 'Restart'), or does this problem persist even doing a 'Cold Boot'?

I'm guessing xml code in model files is the culprit here. Presumably FS is parsing the model files as it determines the list of aircraft to show you when you load the B400.I will also speculate that if you have turned this stuff into AI that the same "problem" will occur.Doug

>I'm guessing xml code in model files is the culprit here. >Presumably FS is parsing the model files as it determines the>list of aircraft to show you when you load the B400.>I will also speculate that if you have turned this stuff into>AI that the same "problem" will occur.Hmmm... that's an interesting hypothesis. I don't recall including the Dreamfleet A36 in the list of a/c when I used Marcus' "GA-Traffic" program, but I can easily turn off all traffic and retest to prove/disprove the idea. Thanks for the suggestion!And yes, this occurs even after a "cold boot."Further to the above, thought though, I did notice that the "extra XML variables don't appear right away, but may take up to ten seconds (or more) to appear.PS: Doug, did you receive my email regarding the odd issue I'm having registering XML variables in my ESDG_blackbox_v2.gau code?

Fr. Bill    

Bill,Yes, got your note. Was on my way out to work... I will have a more detailed look when I get home.As you may recall, the xml_id gauge rescans for new L:vars every 10 seconds or so. It does this to capture those variables being used by gauges not visible at panel load.Doug

>Bill,>>Yes, got your note. Was on my way out to work... I will have>a more detailed look when I get home.>As you may recall, the xml_id gauge rescans for new L:vars>every 10 seconds or so. It does this to capture those>variables being used by gauges not visible at panel load.Well, it seems that "Fr. Stupid" struck again with a vengance...1) It really IS important to make sure your "new build" is named correctly... :+ 2) I needed to add an update routine to keep the XML vars refreshed.3) The "extra XML vars in memory" are in fact a product of using models with embedded XML code as AI a/c.The last point is a bit worrying though, since in FSX all animations will be accomplished with embedded XML code, that is all those models compiled with the new exporter and XML2MDL.exe program...

Fr. Bill    

Hi Bill,Can you please let me know where I can find the xml_id.gau from Doug?In fact, I have a problem with interactions between XML code embedded in the MDL and my C++ gauge code (in FSX), and I'm sure this tool would help.Thanks !!Eric

Eric,I sent it to the e-mail account noted on your website.Doug

Guest Patrick_Waugh

>3) The "extra XML vars in memory" are in fact a product of>using models with embedded XML code as AI a/c.>>The last point is a bit worrying though, since in FSX all>animations will be accomplished with embedded XML code,>that is all those models compiled with the new exporter and>XML2MDL.exe program...Henceforth, we must compile and distribute an AI version with no animations (or reduced to the appropriate amount), so that we avoid this problem then I suppose.