Sign in to follow this  
jordanal

FSX - Help, Propeller "rotation=" broke?

Hi,I'm using an old hack from the fs9 aircraft.cfg for the FSX Baron58 (Analog) to turbocharge the engine and to rotate the left (#1) prop CCW. All the edits seem to have carried over well except one of the added lines in the propeller section (rotation = -1,1) no longer works. When active in FSX, this line cause the the left prop to spin very very slowly, as viewed from outside the aircraft, regardless of throttle or prop-pitch settings. I thoroughly checked the "Propeller" section of the FSX SDK and there's no mention of the "rotation" variable at all. It makes me wonder if this was a sanctioned variable to begin-with in FS9. Do you think Aces took it out to accomidate the G1000?Does anyone have any FSX equivelent tips or tricks to fix the rotation preference for the prop in FSX?Should I report this to the "tell_MS" e-mail address?Thanks for your insight.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I strongly suspect that was a 'feature' carried forward from FS2k2, but has now been completely depecrated in FSX.The "proper" method is to set the axis properly in the model itself, and always has been... ;)

Hi Bill, thanks for the input. I assume to 'properly' change the axis in the model would be a GMax-level edit? I've dabbled in GMax but nothing serious.The wierd thing is, I also install a CCW RPM gauge for the #1 prop on the Baron, which when installed, reads correctly (upscale) when rotation=-1 (turning CCW). If I leave the gauge installed and change the prop back to CW, as expected, the guage pegs to the bottom of the scale.This kind'a tells me that the model and stuff underneath is seeing "-1" value from the config file. The sound is there as well as the thrust. It's only the visualization of the prop itself. I tried substituting (using) the FS9 Baron Prop.bmp but got the same visual affect.Does this info by-chance change your opinion that the rotation= is not used any more? It looks to me like it's still parsed. Anything else I might try?Thanks again...

>Hi Bill, thanks for the input. I assume to 'properly' change>the axis in the model would be a GMax-level edit? I've>dabbled in GMax but nothing serious.>Does this info by-chance change your opinion that the>rotation= is not used any more? It looks to me like it's>still parsed. Anything else I might try?Since the Modeling SDK isn't finished for FSX yet, that's really only my conjecture based on observation...I do know that there are many other strange things that worked in FS9 but do not work as-designed in FSX.Since your gauge is obviously responding to the .cfg parameter, then yes, it seems obvious that FSX is parsing/interpreting that param the same way. Even so, the problem is likely the difference in the modeling engine (how the .mdl is interpreted)...

>>>>I thoroughly checked the "Propeller" section of the FSX SDK and there's no mention of the "rotation" variable at all. It makes me wonder if this was a sanctioned variable to begin-with in FS9.<<<

>What you failed to understand about the>

>>>>That's hardly a surprise for me, since I don't normally"do" multi-engine prop a/c... only single engine GAand bizjets... ;)<<<>>>As for any reputed "secret decoder ring," I ain'tgot one either, yet somehow I seem to manage to find outabout *most* "secrets...' LOL!<<<

Thanks guys, I will report it to MS. Very informative, indeed. Let's hope the Model SDK sheds some more light on the subject in the near future.