Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Adding Virtual Cockpit s

I am interested in adding Virtual Cockpits to aircraft that do not have them (just for my own use). For instance, a number of 747s I have downloaded have no VC, so it would be logical to use the default 747 VC.Is this possible? I assumed I'd have to edit the panel.cfg file (no problem) and then the mdl file (problem!: I don't know which tool to use for this, or exactly what I'd need to add).Searched the forum for a solution, but I haven't been able to refine the serach enough to come up with an answer. I'm obvioulsy a newbie in this particular area, so any help appreciated.Thanks,Martin

Should have said that, from what I have found already, mdl files are not easy to access and edit - I'd need to be pretty adept with a hex editor for example (which I am not!). Does that about sum up the situation? Maybe what I wanted to do is just not a practical proposition?

Guest jimcooper1

>Should have said that, from what I have found already, mdl>files are not easy to access and edit - I'd need to be pretty>adept with a hex editor for example (which I am not!). Does>that about sum up the situation? >>Maybe what I wanted to do is just not a practical>proposition?You're correct.The VC has to be hard-coded in by the model developer. There is no practical way to add a VC if the designer didn't create one inside the original model.RegardsJim

Shame. I have a few aircraft where the VC view is half a blank wall, or similar edifying view. Not sure where the bmp is loading from - I'd much prefer just a blank screen (that is, no cockpit, just the scenery).Are these oddities also hard-coded into the mdl file? I can't see any entries for a VC elsewhere..thanks,M.

There is an XML gauge called VCViewSkip which skips the VC view when you are stepping through the views. Do a search in this forum for it.

Guest fbnweoghnwd

Are you talking about FS9 or FSX? In FS9, the virtual cockpit and exterior model are both contained in a single file, whereas in FSX they're two separate files. So in FS9 there's no way to add a VC without the source files. But in FSX, if you wanted to add the default 747 VC to an aircraft that doesn't have one, I would think that you could just copy all the VC's files into the new aircraft's folder, then copy all the relevant entries from the default plane's panel.cfg to that of the new one. Don't quote me on it because I haven't tried it, but I can't think of any reason why it couldn't be done.-Mick

Mick,Thanks for the reply. I have FS9 (as in my signature at the bottom of each post - though no one really reads those, I know!). Looks like I am stuck with things as they are then: at least I can get rid of the faulty VCs now with the xml gauge..Martin :-)