Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gavin

Norton Internet Security 2009

HiI was given a copy of this today and was wondering whether to install it or not. Now, in the past I believe Norton products had a bit of a reputation of being 'hog-ware' and didn't really help FS very much. Whether this is true or not I don't know.So - what do you think? Some friends from Symantec tell me that IS2009 is much leaner - but what do my FS colleagues think?At the moment I use the freeware AVG and Zone Alarm and am pretty much an advocate of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' but am I missing out on something better in Norton IS2009?With all due respect and in the friendliest way possible, I'd be very grateful if people who use other anti-virus/firewall products didn't reply by saying 'I use ABC123 and am very happy' because it won't really answer my question about Norton IS2009 ;-) No offence intended in any way.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Gavin,I'm not sure this will answer your question and I'll probably be saying something you already know:), I'm sceptical of Norton anti-virus because of their previous versions. It is not only because of it's incompatability with FS but the program is so "intruding" if you see what I mean. Maybe the new version is better?That said, every computer is different, something that works for one might not work for you and vice-versa (sorry, you already know that too, I know :)) Personnally, I would give it a try.Hey, I'm sure this didn't help much, just consider it a hello :DA user will certainly give you better input.

>Now, in the past I believe Norton products>had a bit of a reputation of being 'hog-ware' and didn't>really help FS very much. Whether this is true or not I don't>know.I have never tried this product with FS, but, as a corporate user, I've always found Symantec products to be exactly what you described above. Despite what your friend said, I'm skeptical...I've never known a symantec product to get "leaner".I would go with something like NOD32 from ESET. It's really a great product.Jeff H.KDEN

.>>Hey, I'm sure this didn't help much, just consider it a hello>:D>And hello to you too :-)

>>I have never tried this product with FS, but, as a corporate>user, I've always found Symantec products to be exactly what>you described above. Despite what your friend said, I'm>skeptical...I've never known a symantec product to get>"leaner".Interesting - thanks!