Sign in to follow this  
Guest Checkmate

Is this possible?

Hey guys-I'm still working on my FS2004 San Diego harbor project. I've been working on the ships based at the 32nd St. Naval Station, and would like to improve the look of the piers. Is it possible to alter the stock scenery? I have no experience at scenery design other than creating an object in GMAX and importing it into 2004.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/48674.jpgFor example...getting the scenery at the head of the pier to match the superimposed line. Also, I'd like to remove the piers and replace them with my own. I'm willing to spend the time learning, but it sure would help to know it's possible before I dive in!Thanks-Robert

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Replace the existing with photorealistic (sat pics) textures and use a watermask to turn anything you want (the docks) into water. Then build some gmax docks and you're golden!There are others who know WAY more than I (Holger, Rhumbafloppy, Bob, Christian, Arno, Sasa, et al. ) but it's definately possible and VERY addictive.

Can I edit the existing landscape? I'm looking for a way to get the existing scenery into something like psp and edit it, then put it back into the sim. If I went photorealistic it would not blend well into the default scenery. I'm trying to find a way to make alterations that blend into the surrounding scenery.Thanks,Robert

Go check out the latest version of Ground 2K its a sweet little program and it aint hard to learn, should do exactly what you want with those docks, and the rest of the shoreline around SAN.Hornit

OK, got the program. Is there a good step-by-step guide on how to use it?Robert

I'm thinking there are at least 2 ways to do what you want.1) Use Ground2k to redefine where the water ends and where the water begins. I have no idea what kind of resolution this program has. I've got this program and it's supposed to do exactly what we're talking about. I've yet to figure out how to use it.2) Find the MS textures involved or use screenshots (editedt in psp)to create a replacement bitmap/watermapSat pics do pose a "blending in" problem but they can give absolutely stunning results.