Sign in to follow this  
scott967

Ground2K need LWM help

I've started playing with Ground2K for FS2k2 (ver 3.04). I've made progress but am having some basic problems.My project is to redo the coastline at Pearl Harbor HI. This area consists of a bay with an island in the center of it. Most of the coastline I'm working on at present is over water in the default. I tried first using poly with shore, but I'm having trouble with compiling failure due to crossing lines. So first I tried it with Line (shore) that seemed to work, so now I have it defined as Coastline (land right). Next I need to get land defined behind my coast. So I thought best to use Poly LWM with "land" selected. My assumption is that this would cause landclass texture to appear within the poly, but it isn't working. I looked at my 3.bgl and 9.bgl in LWMviewer, and my LWM poly only is showing in areas where there is no coastline defined. In an area with the coast, the LWM poly does not show, either where there is a water LWM drawn by the coastline function, or if there is no added poly (except for my single land LWM). I posted two attachments. First is a ground2k with my lines and polys. Second is the LWMViewer shot where blue is the water mask that is created when I use the coastline option, and green is the part of the land mask LWM poly that shows up.scott s..

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hello Scott,I do not use the "Coastline"-option in Ground2k, so my explanation might be wrong.But it seems, this option turns the whole Lod13 (???)-quadrant into water, only the land-side remains as land. This would explain the water at your down-left corner. Your upper land-polygon is slightly larger than the coastline-option effected quadrants, therefore the upper-left stripe of land.I would use a the LWM-mask option to create the exact land-polygons (draw the land into the water, close the land polygon somewhere in the default island). Than I would add the shore lines manually around the added land until they are connected to the default shores.Just an idea,Edgar

Howdy:I agree with Edgar's comments. Just wanted to point out that there's another benefit for separating the LWM process from the coastline textures. That way you get to choose where you want to have which type of coastline. For example, some sections probably require wide sandy beaches while others may be rocky and without a defined cosatline. Also, there's a specific "harbor" coastline type that doesn't have the wave action. It's probably a bit more work but will look more realistic than just one type and width of shoreline everywhere.Umm, actually, come to think of it, I'm not sure whether FS2002 offers different shoreline types, though I'm sure you can influence the width.Cheers, Holger

Thanks all.I gave up trying to get the coastline to work for me. I admit I didn't try the imbrication -- maybe that was the problem. I went to shore with (land LWM) poly instead, and got better at drawing shores so the polys come out right. I think in the final analysis using a separate line from the LWM polys gives the best control, I just haven't found a good way yet to get a poly to "hug" the line without a lot of manual tweaking at top zoom. Holger, you're right that the shore textures in FS2002 seem to result in the same appearance, but making them narrower produces a better harbor effect.Now another question: Is there a way to merge several projects, or maybe the ASM files that are created? I ended up with about 15 BGLs by the time I was done.scott s..