Sign in to follow this  
scott967

Ross Island weird features

Hi,While investigating about the effects of latitude on MSFS landscape elements, I considered Ross Island as a useful subject for experiment. Ross Island, as most of you probably know, is that island just off Antarctica where both McMurdo base and the Erebus volcano are located. A remote but pretty interesting corner of the Earth. I believed it could prove a significant example because, 1. it is situated over 77

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I too noticed strange behavior when attempting to slew over the north pole. I found that the further I went north, the more distorted forward slew motion became. For example I would push forward on my joystick (aligned to heading 360) and I would move forward+left. Eventually I was unable to progress further north, only being able to reach a latitude of approx 88 degrees I think (Don't remember exactly, it was a while ago).Strange huh? Also, the terrain at the north pole was completely flat and had elevation 0. But ahead, in the area where I could not reach, there appeared to be a cliff 10 or 20 thousand feet high.I'm not sure why this happens either, but I wonder if it inhibits (or prohibits) flights that cross the north pole or flights that go near it?Ruahrc

Hi.Now that's *spooky*! I was about to ask pretty much the identical question.I've just been playing with mesh in the same latitudes, and I had a bit of trouble getting it aligned. I was originally using the fs2004 resample but it didn't like something or other; sometimes it would create nothing at all. FS2000 resample worked OK. Second, I found that the terrain matched much better when the CellX/YDimensionDeg values were similar. Originally one was about ten times the other and things were way off, so I remade the data and tried again. After that, things were *exactly* where I expected them to be.LWMViewer won't pick up the coastlines for some areas because it relies on the naming scheme. The coastlines and VTPs for that area are in older files, hyl*.bgl and hyp*.bgl . They're under the 'SceneryocenScenery' folder.And the travelling airport - I get exactly the same thing. While I was experimenting with Landclass, I noticed that autogen objects also flew wildly around the landscape. Where there was a tree-covered hill (hey, I said I was *experimenting*!) you could see the outline of the hill made up of hovering trees! Try this one: stick the plane on the ground somewhere, go into 'spot' view and rotate. Even the *plane* skids around. However, I'm glad someone else is seeing the same effect.Seems MS got the maths wrong somewhere. Just out of interest, can somebody try the same things in FS2002?Cheers,Jim Keir.

Hi Jim,>While I was experimenting with Landclass, I noticed that>autogen objects also flew wildly around the landscape. Where>there was a tree-covered hill (hey, I said I was>*experimenting*!) you could see the outline of the hill made>up of hovering trees! Try this one: stick the plane on thedo you mean autogen-trees hovering in midair, following a non displayed terrain? If I remember correctly, there where similar reports, which were described as caused by memory problems.When using additional meshs, trees hovering in the air were following the default mesh, while displaying the new mesh, or vice versa. Everything happens, when mesh was reloaded while in flight.Is there the same problem, when you load a flight in this position directly?Cheers,Edgar

Hi.> Is there the same problem, when you load a flight in this position> directly?Yes, that's exactly what I was doing. I'd been compiling mesh so I was loading FS with 'Previous flight' set and doing nothing more than looking at the mesh and quitting again. Besides, I've got 1Gb RAM so it's unlikely to be running out quite so fast :)Also, the terrain *was* displayed; the hill was there, it's just that the trees floated around it, up to several kilometers away. Their position relative to the hill changed depending on the view angle; if I rotated the plane a little in slew mode, the trees would shoot offscreen. In other words, they weren't simply displayed on top of terrain that wasn't there, they shifted all over the place. In satellite view, if I slew forwards a little the plane goes in an unexpected direction and the trees go in a different direction at a different speed. Staying in one place and just rotating sees the terrain stay put, the textures swimming around in a most disconcerting fashion and more Ent armies tearing across the plains...Any solutions? It makes my head swim :)cheers,Jim

Hi Jim,Following your indications, I've found the files where the Antarctica coastlines are contained. They are:hydropantarctic1.bglhydropantarctic2.bglhydrolantarctic.bgland they are housed in the Scenery/Ocen/Scenery folder, together with their Northern counterparts:hydroparctic.bglhydrolarctic.bgl.The reason why they are named differently from the usual convention is that they span much more than a single LOD5 sector: they literally cover thousands of cells. Anyway, LWMViewer opens and decompiles them without problems.---Lansdcape shift: if I rotate the aircraft over McMurdo base, I obtain a simultaneous (visual) longitudinal translation of the runways with respect to the landscape; BUT if I switch to zenithal view, everything rotates normally, with no longitudinal translation. Indicated coordinates remain correct. Heading is magnetic.I suspect that the airstrips, which are objects, may share the aircraft coordinate system and don't shift at all, and it's the LANDSCAPE (mesh,textures and VTPs) that shifts actually. I moved to S89

Hi,good detective work, guys ;-)You should do a search in this forum too (for "Antartica" etc.); the funny displacement has been described and discussed several times.Cheers, Holger

I haven't tried in FS9, but I tried to build a McMurdo icerunway and Williams Field in FS2002. I just put in a flattenpoly assuming ice is flat. The airport slides around, compared to the default terrain. To fly requires keeping track of Byrd int S77-30, E165-00 and McMurdo Tacan NGD (don't know how these are set in FS9). All bearings on the charts I found are in degrees grid, and the grid variation to true is E167.1 degrees.scott s..

Hi.I've just uploaded a 30-degree slice of Antarctica to the file library - should appear in a few hours if all goes well. Comments welcome!Cheers,Jim.