Sign in to follow this  
Guest luissa

"Flipping" .bmp files created in SBuilder...

Could please explain how one flips photo textures created in SBuilder in order to use Autogen Object Creater created by Art Martin?Here are the steps as I understand it. Please correct my process where needed.1. Create photo map files (.bmps) in SBuilder as normal.2. Using some 3rd party program take copies of those files and 'flip' them.3. Save these flipped files also as .bmp files4. Use these new flipped files inside Autogen Object Creator (or I guess even AGenT for that matter), to create .agn files.5. Copy the newly created .agn files into proper location of FS.Questions:1. - I read on some forum that perhaps the latest version of Imagetool would perform the flip. Is that so? If so, what selections do I make in Imagetool for this?2. - If not, what program do I use and where can I find it.2. - Looking at an unflipped image in Imagetool or Autogen Object Creator, I see the image is not only flipped but is skewed, stretched or viewed at an angle rather than a top-down view. Will this be corrected after the flip? (FYI - the tiles look fine in FS2004).Thanks as this would really be helpful to me as I continue to explore scenery design. Clutch

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Guest luissa

Hello,What you describe seems fine! For the flipping, almost any image viewing program is capable of it. I use PSP 5.0 (very old). Even the very basic Paint programme that ships with Windows performs vertical flipping!Regards, Luis

The easiest way for me was to run the same image through the normal resample tool (using Terrabuilder), since I had all the relevant placement info from Sbuilder. Then I used these tiles to autogen, and just moved the autogen to the correct texture folder.

Oh, guess I was making more out of it than it really is. But I still have the question about not seeing a true top-down view of the texture. It is at an angle. Will that be corrected as well after the flip?

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU

Ok, I did the flip with Paint Shop Pro, a simple click. But here is the issue I am talking about. Hopefully the screenshots will show this better.Shot 1 is how the photoreal map created looks normally.Shot 2 shows how this looks in FS2004. All looks nice and normal.Shot 3 shows how the image appears in either AGenT or Autogen Object Creator. See how it is slanted. I don't have a top down view for easy autogen placement.

Guest luissa

Hello,You can think of aerial photos like planes that are tangent to the Earth surface at the point of observation. Because FS uses a Geographic Projection system, the footprint of a squared building in your photo is not necessarily a square in the final bitmap that is used to paint the Earth in the sim. The square (if orientated north south east west) will be fat at the Equator and extremelly tall near the poles.If you open SBuilder and set the display grid ON you will see what I mean. Go North and then return to the Equator. I think that a "real square is really a square" about 40 degrees of latitude.Regards, Luis