Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

We've come a long, long way baby...

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Thanks for the memories Elrond!I first tried the then Brand new Diamond Viper 2meg card ($400) but found runing FS5+ the SanFran photorealistic scenery even on the then best 486DX2-66 at 4-6FPS just didn't errr a Fly! :) So I took it back to CompUSA (the whole PC and ALL) and 6 monthes later got my P90 with the ATI-2mb card, funny thing is that machine lasted up untill last October (with a few upgrades of course). Wow! :-lolNext year it will be 4-gig CPUs and 8x-AGP-256mb Video cards! :-lolI can still remember looking at comercial simulator brochures and thing how cool it would be to see something half as good in the distant future on a desktop PC.Those old million dollar sims pale next to what we now have today on our desk tops in so many ways! :)I still have the very first issue of FullThrottle Magazine floating around here some where, it had some of the first screen shots of FS5!Thanks for the great post!:-beerchug Paul

You folks don't need the WayBackMachine to get to the Pre-issues. :)They're still alive and kicking at http://www.avsim.com/preiss/ -- that's a raw directory listing at the moment, but we'll work on putting a page there to make things a little more pleasant. :)Cheers,--M

Funny you should mention your P90 system, Paul: just last night I replaced the last item still in use from my own 1995 P90 system, its CTX GM-1785 17" monitor. Its picture had started jumping up and down slightly but just enough to be quite tiring on the eyes-first every now and then, but all the time eventually- for the last three or four months or so, and lately it spontaneously switched to a lower resolution with a kind of I'm-dying-picture-tube-flash every now and then-well just about once or twice each session (and the computer, of course, didn't-so you only got to see part of the picture-in a sort of interlaced-looking view until you'd turned the monitor off and on again).I liked that monitor a lot though-but it really looked to be on the verge of breaking down forever now so I finally got me a new Iiyama 19" now-so sharp it almost hurts!That P90 was the most expensive PC I ever bought-with all of 16 Mb RAM, 1.2Gb HDD and 2Mb Diamond Stealth videocard, 16-bit Soundblaster and Windows For Workgroups 3.11 it cost me over 4000$!Later I started building and upgrading PC's myself and things are a lot cheaper now.I love looking back at the early days, way back to TRS-80 and Apple II and FS-1, when we were all wow'ed by seeing things 3D at all-even if it wasn't in color! Never dreamed flight sims would ever look as gorgeous as they're doing now...

Geezzz... a whole issue in less than 2.5 megs. Those were the days. Thanks Elrond for the memories.. :)

Awwww...I remember FS95...I had to install Windows 95 to run it, and it was so slow I couldn't really enjoyed...and at that time I had no diea what a video card was and what FPS meant so I thought the slowness was a bug in the game :DCheck out the System Requirements!Multimedia PC with 486DX/66 Mhz or higher processor (Pentium recommended)Microsoft Windows 95 operating system8 MB of memory (16 MB recommended)40 MB of available hard-disk spaceDouble-speed CD ROM drive (or faster)Super VGA, 256-color monitorMicrosoft Mouse or compatible pointing device (joystick recommended) Sound card with speakers or headphones required for audio

Final flight-and a commodore vic-20. Watching one line (the runway) move around the screen and waiting for the words "you crashed" or "you landed". The first version of fs that blew everything away-even though .5-1 fps was standard. Buying an amiga because fs was the best on it-it actually had threshold lines on the runway. Getting a voodoo 1 card on my new pentium 200 and being thrilled when fs's frame rates went from 6-12 fps.Yes-we have come a long way. Sometimes knowing history makes all the difference-on simming and in the real world!http://members.telocity.com/~geof43/geofanim2.gif