Sign in to follow this  
Guest JuiceRabbit

FSX SDK water polygon help

Guest JuiceRabbit

Thanks... I havent tried that yet, but see my post above, I've got my utility wrting the shape files correctly :) Can you help with islands?

Guest JuiceRabbit

My next step would be to get my utility to extract elevation data either from a FSX BGL or from an external DEM (eg SRTM file) for each point in the polygon. Although I want to try Legacy_LandWaterMask_Water_NoFlatten as suggested above to see if that works. If it does work then maybe no need to extract elevation data.

Guest christian

I haven't played with this extensively, but I think you don't need to do any thing special for islands. Just process your data and the islands will appear just fine. The pain of having to deal with islands seems to be solved with the new SDK...Christian

Guest JuiceRabbit

Ive never used the FS9 or FSX sdk before a few days ago... can you give me more info?To put an island inside a water poly, what do i do? Create an exclusion poly for the island? Or or land poly for the island? I dont know.Help! :)

Hi JuiceRabbit.You could use a DBF reference to this terrain.cfg texture:// Legacy_LandWaterMask_Flatten[Texture.379]Name=Legacy_LandWaterMask_Land_FlattenColor=FFAB4141guid={D242B77F-7308-4685-9B6C-89AF1CD43D13}FlattenMode=slopeFlattenPriority=50000LandClassRemapType=noneExcludeAutogen=NoRenderToTexture=NoRenderPriority=200000Water=NoNote the {b}Water=No{/b}. I haven't tried this, but it should work. You should try to study the terrain.cfg, as almost all the info for display characteristics is there.Christian was trying to pint out that a shapefile produced from most any GIS program should easily handle embedded islands ( donut holes? )in the water polys. That's also my experience so far.Dick

Guest JuiceRabbit

Thanks :) I'll give this a try over the next day or so.Im been generating my own shape file from a Google Earth KML file. So to have an island in a lake I need to draw 2 polygons in Google Earth, 1 for the lake and 1 for the island. So ill try this GUID for the island.

Best method for creating islands - good question.As has been mentioned, you could - leave holes in your river shapefile polygons where the land would show through; - use Dick's suggested method and please let us know how that works; - draw the islands separately and give them attributes of land class polygons (choose the ones that give you the land class of your choice) and see if they display over the water.Thanks for testing all of this.Best regards.Luis

>Also, any tips on how to create islands inside the river? I realise i need to create other polygons to represent the islands but what Guid do i use? Can you give me a clue? Thanks in advance!An island should be represented within the Shapefile as a hole in the water polygon. No Guid is required.-Doug

Hi JuiceRabbit.>Thanks :) I tried that and here is the pic. The picture is of>a circular lake with a heart shaped island in the centre. The>water from the lake seems to overflow onto the island. Any>ideas?As with most types of design, a picture doesn't give us much to go on. Why not attach a zipped file including the shp, shx, dbf, xml files... and maybe a readme.txt? Then we can see what you have and play with the code ourselves... and maybe discover a solution.Dick

JuiceRabbit - Dick gives good advice - posting the Shapefile (shp, shx, dbf) as well as the xml and any non-obvious hints as to what you are attempting will help people help you.I'm also curious how TmfViewer renders your BGL. This Vector SDK tool is a great light-weight smoke test of the output of Shp2Vec.-Doug

Guest JuiceRabbit

Ok will do. But I can't at the moment though because Im at work :(Ignoring the island issue, I've been having great success fixing the coastline of New South Wales (Australia), using Google Earth (Plus) to map out accurate coastlines, and adding landclass polys for beaches, golf courses, towns etc... Looks amazing! :-jumpyThis stuff is really easy to do with new FSX Shp2Vec tool. I'll post some pictures over the next day or so when I back at home.