Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

How can a bgl crash XP to a blue screen?

Can any of you experts out there expalin to me the mechanism by which a particular bgl file can cause XP to CTD, or even for the PC to crash to a blue screen? This has happened a few times over the past year or so, and each time I have traced the cause to a particular bgl file: removing it clears the crashing, putting it back brings the blue screens back again. I have run Memtest86+ overnight, through 25 cycles, with zero errors, and have surface checked my hard drive, again with no problems, so don't think this is a hardware error.As an example, I installed VOZ 1.21 yesterday and immediately got blue screen crashes when starting from a particular airport (YMHB). Disabling VOZ in scenery.cfg stopped the problem, so by trial and error I traced the culprit to a small exclude file. Disassembled it looks like this:GenExcl( Gen_exc0.bgl 1S42:50:08.68 S42:50:16.58 E147:30:16.75 E147:30:06.00S42:50:08.68 S42:50:16.58 E147:30:16.75 E147:30:06.00 )How can such a simple little file cause such problems?Thanks,Martin

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Martin,in BGLComp the required order for bounding boxes is:latitudeMinimum latitudeMaximum longitudeMinimum longitudeMaximumIf that's the case here as well then the longitude values are reversed. Thus, instead of a small exclude you have one that circles the globe. Maybe FS can't handle crossing of the 180/-180 line and thus crashes?Then again, shouldn't that cause crashes for every user of VOZ?Cheers, Holger

This code is from an older SCASM style exclude, not from a XML exclude. The SCASM docs mention this:GenExcl( name.BGL maskTopLat1 BottomLat1 RightLon1 LeftLon1TopLat2 BottomLat2 RightLon2 LeftLon2)So it looks like they are defined in the correct order.I don't understand why such a simple exclude can cause a CTD, I can't remember seeing that before.

Hi Holger, Arno. Thanks for replying.No, it is beyond me too, but I am 99% sure that this little file is the root of the problem - as I say, I haven't had any crashes since I removed it, and when I put it back my PC crashes again at YMHB, usually to a blue screen.Another oddity - and this happened with the other similar problems I alluded to - if I set up a flight plan (.pln) from the 'stricken' airport and load my flight through that, there is no crash. If I choose the airport from the list at 'Choose a Flight' however, then it does. My PC also crashes if I fly into the airport from somewhere else, when I get within a few miles of it.I can only imagine that there must be a clash between different sceneries somehow - though I have removed all my Australian addons, FSGenesis mesh apart, since installing VOZ, so I can't think what that might be. So long as removing the file cures the problem, then fine; but I wish I knew what was going on here, it bugs me that something so weird should be going on and I can't even begin to explain it!Martin