Sign in to follow this  
Guest penman

Placing a library object in FSX

Guest OK_cfi

I've been out of the scenery design game since the days of FS2002. When I left off, I was just starting to understand GMAX. I now have no clue what's going on with all this vector stuff (I've got quite a bit of reading to do), but what I'm truly interested in is how to place a default library object in FSX. I've never dealt with .xml before, so although the SDK was somewhat helpful in providing the format, I'm the kind of person who needs to see what steps are necessary to perform a relatively simple version the first time, and then can go from there.Also, the SDK refers to 3DS Max being necessary to model objects for FSX. Will GMAX still work (as I noticed they included it in the deluxe version).Thanks in advance.JeffEdit: I have copied the example from the BGLcomp sdk to notepad and attempted to run the file through bglcomp, and I get no .bgl file. A hard drive scan can't find it either.

As far as I know there is not an easy way to create an object for FSX using GMax. I have to qualify that by saying that the format of FSX mdl files (objects) has changed from FS9. We are expecting an FSX Gamepack for GMax in the near future.In the meantime objects created for FS9 can be used in FSX but you need to use the FS2004 gamepack to create the BGL. The FS9 bgl should work in FSX.Also the way in which libraries are created for FSX has changed and there is a new BGLComp for FSX. So anything you create with for FS9 must use the FS2004 BGLComp.Sorry if that sounds complicated.If you want to place FSX Library Objects in FSX then my tool LOM will do that or you will need to write your own XML code.

Hi Jeff,>Also, the SDK refers to 3DS Max being necessary to model>objects for FSX. Will GMAX still work (as I noticed they>included it in the deluxe version).Yes, but the new gamepack for GMax has not been released yet. It will most likely be there somewhere this week. Until then you can not make FsX MDL files directly from GMax.>Edit: I have copied the example from the BGLcomp sdk to>notepad and attempted to run the file through bglcomp, and I>get no .bgl file. A hard drive scan can't find it either.This probably means that BGLComp gave you an error. BGLComp is not a drag-and-drop application, it is a command line application. So to see the error(s) you can best use it from the command prompt. Then you can see any feedback given to you.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest penman

>>Edit: I have copied the example from the BGLcomp sdk to>>notepad and attempted to run the file through bglcomp, and I>>get no .bgl file. A hard drive scan can't find it either.I also tried the example given in the SDK and even supplied A GUID value for a library object name, which I got from the Library Objects.txt file, in place of "GUID"It compiled, and a BGL file was created which I placed in the Global scenery directory inside FSX, but nothing was visible in FSX.I then placed the MissingLibraryAlert=1 in my FSX.cfg as suggested, to enable me to check for errors. On launching FSX again I got the error "Missing Library Object".Can someone explain what might be going wrong. The SDK doesn't make things very clear.

I'm not sure entirely what you have done. Can you post the entire XML file (or at lease the complete SceneryObject Element) that you used to place the object please so that we can see the placement information.Also your scenery placement bgl should be placed in the addon scenery area and not the Global Scenery area.

Guest penman

>Also your scenery placement bgl should be placed in the addon>scenery area and not the Global Scenery area.I placed the BGL in the Addon Scenery as you suggested and now it shows up. My confusion was, where the SDK doc. mentioned placing the BGL in the Generic Scenery Directory. This doesn't exsist in FSX, well not in name, so I took this to mean the Global Scenery Directory.Thank you for your help