Sign in to follow this  
arno

Landclass Blocked By Photo Scenery?

I want to use the FSX water landclass in a water area of some photo scenery. However, it does not appear. The landclass BGL is in a separate folder at the #1 priority (top) of the Scenery Library. I have used various landclass types (ice, high rise, etc.) but none appear where there is photo scenery. If I extend the landclass polygon beyond the photo area it appears ok. Or, if I turn off the photo stuff it appears ok. Exlcudes have not helped. Seems like the photo scenery has some high priority outside of the scenery.cfg. Using SbuilderX. Regards,Dick Boley

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

yes Dick, this is true. I imagine the assumption is that photoreal eliminates the desire for landclass. You create water within photoreal using the watermask inf file source.Best,Bob

Bob,Thanks - I was focused on vector exclusions. However, I now find myself unable to understand how to create a mask that will cause specific areas to become water using INF and TIF. An example of my confusion is that when I display the millenniumimage_water_blend.tif in the Microsoft picture fax viewer the image appears bu in a light grey scale. If I look at it in Global Mapper it is a hard black rectangle. Viewing it in Ifran it is a full color image. Compiling the TIF with the INF creates the expected picture with very evident blue water elements at the top. My problem is that I cannot determine how that water became defined from the available info and the confusion with the displayed TIF.Regards,Dick Boley

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Hi Dick,Creating an alpha channel for the parts that should become water is what you should do. If you open the example image from the SDK in a viewer that can show the alpha channel, you will see that that is also how MS has done it.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog