Sign in to follow this  
JMEppright

Placing Trees in FSX

I tried Tree Planter to place trees in FSX but it came back with the message it was only for FS2004. I then tried the SDK Object Placement Tool, there are lots of trees in the FSX objects library but none of them showed up in the simulator.Are there any programs that will do this in FSX?NigelVancouver

Hello Nigel,The Object Placement Tool is the way to go, and it should work.Could you please provide more details as to how you are going about this?You should make sure to use the trees that begin with "veg", as in:veg_b_acacia_mat1veg_b_acacia_mat10veg_b_acacia_mat11veg_b_acacia_mat12veg_b_acacia_mat2veg_b_acacia_mat3veg_b_acacia_mat4veg_b_acacia_mat5etc. ...Best regards.Luis

Luis,I have OPT installed and the first couple of times it worked OK. Now, when I open it from within FSX, the menus appear but the rest of the screen is black. My impression was that you were in slew mode in the sim so you could place the object with the cursor.

Happy landings,

Mike Eppright (KAAO)

Very strange, Mike. I have not come across such a problem before.Would you please provide an illustration of this effect?Best regards.Luis

I start FSX, start OPT. FSX in background goes to a dark screen (black). This afternoon I roughly aimed the nose of the aircraft at a spot on the ground and placed a tree. It worked but placing multiple objects with any degree of accuracy will be difficult without the visual for accurate placement.

Happy landings,

Mike Eppright (KAAO)

Very sorry, Mike. I do not know why your FS display should go dark.As usual, in problems like this, the only thing to suggest is to check any changes that might have been made to the FS installation or to the computer (new video driver, etc.)Good luck.Best regards.Luis

Luis,Appreciate your help. Nothing has changed that I am aware of. I've used computers for 20+ years and know that sometimes things just get mucked up. A reistall frequently attains a fresh start. Take care.

Happy landings,

Mike Eppright (KAAO)

>I start FSX, start OPT. FSX in background goes to a dark>screen (black). This afternoon I roughly aimed the nose of>the aircraft at a spot on the ground and placed a tree. It>worked but placing multiple objects with any degree of>accuracy will be difficult without the visual for accurate>placement.>>You would think that a "tool" that was meant to place objectson the ground would have a top-down-view feature. If there isone, I couldn't find it. And the "you'll be in slew mode or not at all" implementation isn't a very good feature either.At least with something like AFCAD you could change your viewoptions and go in and out of slew mode without being dumped fromthe tool.I attempted to use OPT once and found it totally worthless, IMO,for placing scenery objects with any degree of accuracy and ease.This seems to be the norm of FSX SDK "tools"...they just aren'tvery user friendly. Paul

Wide-5.jpg

When you have the OPT open, hit F12 and the cockpit view will change to top-down view, I had no problem placing objects (including my trees)NigelVancouver

>When you have the OPT open, hit F12 and the cockpit view will>change to top-down view, I had no problem placing objects>(including my trees)>>Nigel>VancouverThanks for that tip, Nigel. Paul

Wide-5.jpg

Thanks for that tip, I'll check that out. Who knows, maybe that will bring the FSX visual back.

Happy landings,

Mike Eppright (KAAO)

Guest Tony_A

Might be worth using Alt-enter to jump to windows mode if you've been working in full screen. Or vice versa - Worked for me when EZ-Scenery started blacking out the FS screen... Tony

The ALT ENTER seems to fix the black screen effect. Onwards and upwards.

Happy landings,

Mike Eppright (KAAO)