Sign in to follow this  
scott967

Lake missing in FSX, but present in TMFViewer

Hi,I was planning a flight to Mackenzie (CYZY), and, as usual, I compared the FSX scenery with the Google Earth view. I was surprised that a large lake near the airport was completely missing.For other reasons, I also checked the same area with TMFViewer, and, second surprise, the lake was there !I quickly noticed that the polygon representing the lake was a WaterPolyGPS, and, according to the SDK, can be seen on the GPS, but not in FSX. (Actually this is so in the cvx1512.bgl file, but the adjacent cvx1412.bgl file seems to be correct.)So I have two questions : is this an error made by MS ? And : is there an easy way to change the nature of these polygons ? (from WaterPoly GPS to WaterPoly). I tried to decompile the cvxXXXX.bgl files with BGL2XML, but it doesn't work. Is there another way ?Thanks for your answers !Alain

Hello Alain,It is probably not a Microsoft error, but a problem with data sources.The FS Team used FS 9 terrain data for the GPS Hydro Polygons, but thought that they were obtaining more detailed data for the normal terrain in FS X. Unfortunately, this new data is more detailed in some places, and much less detailed in others.However, this is easy to fix. Please see:Terrain Design for Flight Simulator Xin the Avsim library:http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fsxsd&DLID=100997This document will show you how to correct this type of problem.Best regards.Luis

Thanks Luis, for helping me again !I read the document you mention, and I understand that I have to redraw the lake with SBuilder and from Google Earth data, and give a "WaterPoly" assignment to this polygon. Is this correct ?I thought it was easier to de-compile the existing cvxXXXX.bgl file, change the polygon type, and re-compile. I do not see any hint in your document to do that. Actually, I'm not sure it is feasible with the presently available tools.Alain

Precisely, Alain, that is the method.Unfortunately, at the moment, it is not possible to take apart the default terrain file.Best regards.Luis

Congratulations, Alain! It looks great! Very detailed and extremely realistic.Best regards.Luis