Sign in to follow this  

Some AI installation questions...

Hi everyone,Doubtless these questions have been asked many times before, so I am VERY sorry if anyone is tired of answering them...I recently decided to take the plunge and install some AI traffic. I am looking to lower myself into the process gently! I visited the PAI website, and just to see what it was like, I installed one of their latest 'ready made' AI kits. It was certainly simple, but I have to say that its maybe not for me. I was a little dissapointed with the quality of the aircraft, as I was thinking more along the line of the FSPainter aircraft quality. I read that there is no 'uninstaller' yet, so I deleted the aircraft, but everything else will still be sitting there somewhere! So then I read the excellent tutorial 'The AI Mystery' here at Avsim, and then downloaded some of the fantastic FSPainter aircraft, the lastest TrafficTools, and AFCAD installer, and also a couple of flight plans. Now, to begin with I thought I would install two FSPainter A340's, and try and install just a couple of flights for each from a Virgin flight plan. Just to see if I can complete the installation correctly. Here starts the bother!I can't find the AIRCRAFT.TXT, AIRPORTS.TXT, and FLIGHTPLAN.TXT files mentioned in the tutorial! I have searched my FS2002 directory, and they simply don't exist! Surely they are already there as the default AI traffic must be in them...or am I being stupid and misreading something, and should I actually be creating them? Secondly, when I do find or create them(!)...can I simply add my two Virgin aircraft in as the next two consecutive numbers then change the numbers on the flight plan? I think I read that I can in the tutorial, but just wanted to check.I hope someone can find a few minutes to answer my questions. Again, my apologies if everyone is bored with answering them!Kind Regards,Al Summers.

Whoooops!Don't think I've been reading closely enough. Initial problem sorted. TTools extracted to FS2002 folder, files located, PAI files all deleted. Starting from scratch! But I have the feeling I may be back!Al Summers.

Welcome to the wonderful world of AI traffic. :-)Regards,Claudius

Guest H_Kev55

Al,With all due respect, I must inform you that ProjectAI uses FSPainter aircraft also.The aircraft from ProjectAI were never meant to be designed perfectly.They were designed simply to give you more traffic at your airports to make your sim more realistic.As we have now progressed past our 1 year anniversary, our modelers are hard at work improving the looks and frame rate characteristics of the models.We have so far released a version 2 model update and should soon be releasing version 3 of the .air files.These upgrades will not only make the AI aircraft fly better, they will look better while still being frame rate friendly.When you add aicraft other than PAI models, you may get 'better looking' AI aircraft, but they will be more harsh on your frame rates.And they will not have the benefits of the continual upgrades that the ProjectAI models recieve.Plus, unless you really like to add hundreds of aircraft models, textures, and flight plans manually, I believe that the ProjectAI installer is still the easiest method for a beginner.Thank,Kevin JarvisV.P. OperationsProjectAI

Kevin,I see entirely what you are saying. Your absolutely right of course, the PAI installer programs are very simple to use, and offer so much to beginners. Actually, not just to beginners, but to anyone who would like the benefits of seeing installation of AI traffic run smoothly and without problems, and not end up like me, with endless questions in this forum! They are a real tribute to the hard work that everyone at PAI obviously puts in. In no way did I mean to undermine anything that you at PAI put out, I merely meant that having seen the quality of the aircraft that FSPainter has produced, or more to the point the quality of the repaints, I took the decision to install some of them in preference to the PAI aircraft that were automatically installed with the British Airways installer pack. Its merely a matter of preference. I will continue to download PAI flightplans, and your excellent tutorials, and I look forward to seeing the new versions of the aircraft that you will be releasing. To reiterate Kevin, please don't think I was digging at anything that PAI produce, far from it...after all, it was only after looking at the PAI website, and downloading a tutorial, followed by one from Avsim, that I took the decision to at last install some AI traffic for myself.Kind regards,Al Summers.

Can I use the PAI installers to install an AI version of any plane? For example, I'm trying to create an AI version of Milton Shupe's Wonderful Dash 7. Can I use a PAI installer to create .cfg and .air files for this? If not, does anyone know of a source of info on FDs for AI aircraft?

Supporter.png

John

AlThanks, I already did! Great site! But not a lot on AI FDs. There must be something more somewhere........

Supporter.png

John

Hi. Where is "The AI Mystery"? I did a search in the file library and can't find it. Please give the URL. Thanks. Regards, Bob.