Sign in to follow this  

Framerates

Specs of computer:AMD Tbird 900mhz128mb ramGeforce 2 64mbFly2 always runs at about 10 - 20fps. Is this normal or is there a way I can get it higher. Because it is choppy and pauses a lot durring flights. Its getting real annoying but I will never give up on this sim. Thanks!

Guest Mike94

Hi,i have almost the same setup like you (PIII/800 here), but i have 512MB memory. More RAM helped me a lot to reduce the pauses to almost none.Cheers,Michael

Guest GrantM

You definitely need more RAM. Go for 512, this is what I have with a PIII 1Ghz and same Vcard as you and have few studders, only with really complex and detail scenery, like Charles de Gaulle airport in Paris. That is always my benchmark test grounds for performance adjustments. If it flies better there, it flies better anywhere!Grant

Bill GustafsonKSAT (Alamo City!)This may have been addressed before, but will Win98 SE handle 512 Meg memory efficiently with Fly2 ?

Guest Dean

>Specs of computer: >>AMD Tbird 900mhz >128mb ram >Geforce 2 64mb >>Fly2 always runs at about 10 - 20fps. Is this normal or is >there a way I can get it higher. Because it is choppy and >pauses a lot durring flights. Its getting real annoying but >I will never give up on this sim. Thanks! I have an Tbird 800 with 384 meg ram and get a little better but you don't indicate where your detail sliders are set at. Mine are all set at the mid-point. You also don't state your OS but if your running Win 98 I don't think your going to see much improvement with ram above 256 meg. At least I didn't on my system. Depending on you motherboard you might also introduce some stability problems by filling all the ram slots. Another thought would be to change everything. With the price of an 1800+ mz processor, 266 mz. mobo and DDR ram around 260 dollars that would yield a lot more bang for the buck. That's the direction i'm going. If that is out of the question I would only go to 256 meg of ram. I really don't think your going to see much improvement beyond that and why invest in technology that is out of date with 333 and 400 mz. systems around the corner.

I do not want to start a bashing thread but why do other sims run fine? I am running Windows XP Pro. I will try to describe my config! Original render.inivis set to lowestsenery set to sparseshadows set to nonedirectx 832bit800x600I dunno really what else there is!

Guest Dean

I don't think your frame rates are that low that you can't enjoy Fly II. If the main problem is stuttering, have you tried rotating around your A/C from the external view before flying? I've read that this step will load the textures onto your video card and reduce the stuttering. Also what do you have your AGP aperature set to in BIOS? Anything more than 64 will cause an increase in stuttering on my system.

Some people suggest more RAM - it may or may not work. I have 192 MB and get very bad stuttering in FLY2. I have no stuttering in FS2002 and never had one in FLY2k. Michael J.

I guess you are right! It just shutters a lot! How do I fix this? I think I have it set to 64 in my bios would 32 help? Yes I do that usually before I takeoff but its fine on the ground. Its mostly when I am in the air!

You should doing better than 20 fps. I could get at least that with 128 MB and a 32 MB TNT2 card with an AMD 700 MHz. I now have 256MB and use 128MB AGP aperture with a GF3Ti200, otherwise the same computer. With the default render.ini, I'll get over 25 fps and haven't been annoyed much by stutters. I use 37 mi vis, 11 mi medium texture distance, and 3 mi high detail texture distance with antialiasing off, no AI planes, and shadows off. I keep my harddrive defragged regularly and don't run antivirus programs in the background. The screenshot north of St Louis was taken with the above parameters and the default render (w/miplevelcount=5).

I never defrag my computer! I wonder if it will make a difference! I am going to do it right now and see the results in the morning!

I think I may know whats going on. I have 128mb of ram with everything turned down! It works good but about 20 min into a flight it starts pausing again and eventually it crashes. I was flying the 757 and it threw me back to the desktop. A icon in my system tray said that I had low memory. So I assume I need more ram?

Guest Dean

>I guess you are right! It just shutters a lot! How do I >fix this? I think I have it set to 64 in my bios would 32 >help? Yes I do that usually before I takeoff but its fine >on the ground. Its mostly when I am in the air! I doubt lowering it to 32 would make much difference. Do you have a lot of 3D models in the scenery when the stuttering occurs?

No, you need the update that we're going to be releasing (new DLLs) as soon as Rich gets a little bit more free time, and works out a memory leak issue with an SDK call (APIGetAirport()).For all of those who care: There's a memory leak associated with that particular call which is pretty significant when the ILS is tuned.I anticipate that as soon as Rich comes up with a fix (he knows where the problem is), we'll be releasing an update.

Lefteris Kalamaras - Founder

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

Guest Dean

>I think I may know whats going on. I have 128mb of ram with >everything turned down! It works good but about 20 min into >a flight it starts pausing again and eventually it crashes. > I was flying the 757 and it threw me back to the desktop. >A icon in my system tray said that I had low memory. So I >assume I need more ram? Did defragging yield better results? Also, are you closing down everything that is running in the background? Press Ctrl, Alt, Delete at the same time to bring up the Task Manager and close everything except for Explorer and Systray and see what happens. If your gettng a warning that your low on ram than something else is probably running in the background using up resources. BTW, the procedure for bringing up Task Manager is for Win 98, I'm not sure on XP. Doubling your ram would probably help but I don't believe it is worth going higher than 256 meg. But even doubling ram won't help much if other applications are running. On the 757 I yield to Lefteris's expert opinion. :-)