Sign in to follow this  
LAdamson

If you took on Fly! what would you do, change or add?

Richard was talking about some other developer taking on the core of Fly! and using the six years hard work in bringing it to where its at.TRI have two choices. First to let the sim gather dust till its useless to anyone or second to sell it or "lease" it (ie take a commission on any future sales)I always felt Fly! could go forward a la X - PLANE with a small group developing it.I have no idea what the sale value of the core would be, but I am interested on what you would change or add to make a Fly!2 B rather than a Fly!3.A Fly! 2B would have to be different enough to warrant a re release under a new name.As a starter I could see a new scenery engine developed around digital mapping as used in a road atlas as well as contour mapping for hills again as used in detailed contour maps.Maybe just covering the USA and Europe to start.Just thinking aloud spurred by the enthusiasm shown by many here :-) As I know little about scenery I may be way off courtPeter

How about starting with resolution. Pro-Pilot 2000 didn't have a chance to succeed when it was known that res would max at 800*600 while other sims were already far past that figure. While 1024*768 produces fairly descent shots of interiors such as the TMB 700, the panels & scenery really suffer when viewed on my 22" monitor. And believe me, it helps to have a larger monitor when viewing small instruments such as those on most FLY panels. On my system, res at 1600*1200*32 works quite well & I wouldn't even mind higher!L.Adamson

Guest DannyV

Hey - don't forget Australia!!! I would certainly be interested in helping develop Terrain and scenery in such a project.The Terrain engine definitely needs work. When you can see objects through the mountains, it really detracts from the overall experience. The ability to import any elevation data at any resolution (obviously a frame rate trade off the higher the res) would be cool along with dynamic shading, ala 2K2.Better/dynamic weather and clouds (with difference types ie. cumulus, stratus, nimbostratus, cumulonimbus etc etc)That would be a good start.Cheers,Danny Vickers

Guest tonyc

1.Address video card quirks vis-a-vis render.ini. 2. the fps issue needs addressing. I would then find a way to convert all Msfs scenenry to FLYtony

>I would then find a way to convert >all Msfs scenenry to FLY That would be a real bomb ! :-sun1Michael J.

AFAIK, the only way to get larger gauges at 1600x1200 is to create the panel at a higher resolution. I guess you could scale it to the higher res within the sim, but then you'd just get all the artifacts inherent in scaling up an image. Then if you create the high-res panel, the gauges would be HUGE in 640x480. ;-) I guess you'd have to make multiple panels for an aircraft to work well in all resolutions.I think an enhanced ATC system would be nice, although I guess that could just be an add-on to FlyII without a change to the core...maybe? I'd also like to see a dynamic weather system like I believe Rich intended to work into FlyII. Volumetric clouds like in IL-2 would be nice.I think there might be something wrong with the slicer, because only in sliced scenery do the shadows disappear at the edges of each tile (not the globe tiles, rather the smallest tiles in the scenery). Also, if you put the pointer in these locations when in the distance mode, the distance it reports is always 50-some thousand miles or something wild like that. It's like the ground isn't even there.nick

Guest chezz

Thank you for all your enthusiasm to keep FLY alive I hope someone would take the lead to put all those talented FLY'ers work together to make things better for FLY.I'm still learning scenery design hopely in the near future I can contribute to FLY community.chris salviejorpll

OK Peter,1 - Get all instrumentation, controls, and systems operational2 - Polish/correct flight dynamics3 - Improve clouds, weather, metar response4 - Make all navigation and approach DB parameters operational5 - Add highways, railroads, more bodies of water to generic scenery6 - Redo the scenery engine, but keep it Terrascene compatible

Randall Rocke

Higher resolutions, which includes higher resolution ground textures (which would make for some great scenery using something like TerraScene).Also a database for GPS approached would be neat to have also :)Just a few things I could think of...Jason

G'day Larry,As much as I'd love a 22" monitor with 1600 resolution, lets be honest; This high a resolution is way beyond the realm of the average simmer. 99.9% would not be capable of using it.Cheers,Roger @YSSY

G'day Peter, >Maybe just covering the USA and Europe to start. Bloody typical! When are people ever going to realise that there is life on this planet outside of the good ole U.S. of A. and Europe. >Just thinking aloud spurred by the enthusiasm shown by many >here :-) and doing a damned good job of destroying the enthusiasm of solid Fly! II supportes in the southern hemisphere. >As I know little about scenery I may be way off court Way off court? In the words of the great John McEnroe " You can't be serious ........" :-fumeSorry Peter I just had to stand up and be counted. Fly! series has had very strong support from Aussies and any suggestion of leaving us out in the cold doesn't go down well with me.Geeezz it could almost be enough to send me to the dark side.:-)Ok I've got it all off my chest I feel better now.Have a nice dayCheers,Roger @YSSY

RogerOkay :-) North America, Europe, we had better add iceland and Greenland and of course Canada otherwise no one will be able to get to Europe without long range aircraft.Australia :-) whoops our friends in South America(cant forget them.....Anyone from China here? ;-)Peter

I love Fly! but to me it's only downfall is it's scenery engine.I've always thought that it's potential for near accurate VFR flying would be nothing short of amazing.If only it is as easy as importing mesh files as with MSFS.

Guest DannyV

Thank you Peter ;-)Cheers,Danny VickersAustralian Fly! Group