Sign in to follow this  
Cpudan80

Patch and health status (11-13-02)

It's been a long time since I've been able to sit down and give everyone an update. This post will give you a skinny on everything going on, and what to expect (or not expect) in the future.First, patches. The beta team has been on and off working on things during the year. Things pretty much stalled out over the summer due to my health (more on this later). There were fixes made to accomodate PMDG aircraft, as well as some other general improvements (things like morse idents and such). But, then we decided to tackle some larger issues: coastline accuracy, and weather. Unfortunately, these have become such large issues they've totally bogged us down and prevented future progress. Given my time these days, and after consulting with the group, we are going to attempt to backtrack our changes to BEFORE this last group of large changes, and settle on a new patch release. While this will be disappointing for us on the team, it is the only realistic chance of getting the community another update to Fly!. Otherwise, things look very unlikely that there would be any further updates. Given the choice, I'm sure everyone here would agree that getting some improvements is better than none. When can you expect this fix? Probably between Thanksgiving and Xmas, since I'll need to resurrect the proper build, get some sanity testing done on it, write some documentation, and get it released.Things are also moving on the Macintosh front. I am attempting to produce a patch that will bring the Mac version up-to-date with the PC version. Apple has been fantastic with their support, and is providing development hardware for me to use. I've also had the participation of Rob Minnis, the former Mac programmer from TRI, helping me out on serious issues. There are still some bugs remaining, particularly with the HID control system and joystick input. If/when this gets fixed, the Mac patch will be released. When can you expect this? I would hope by the end of the year, but that really depends on how bad this joystick/control bug is, and how much time it's going to take to fix. I may need Rob's help, which is totally dependent on his schedule. Please, do NOT expect or depend on these dates or ANY release until they happen, if they ever do. Outside of these two patches, I do not expect further updates to Fly! from me. This is not by choice, but by health and life issues. The be very blunt and honest with the group (as I always have and will be), I have been diagnosed with two forms of terminal cancer (my fourth cancer battle in 6 years). Because of the fragility of my bone marrow from last year's transplant, and serious damage done by radiation therapy years ago, there are no realistic surgical, radiation, or chemotherapy solutions to my illness. It has progressed to the point that I can no longer eat, and have been on a feeding tube for the past week and will be for the forseeable future. I am no longer able to work, and am on long term disability from TRI. I have been told to expect around 6 months left to live if my feeding tube is successful. If not, maybe 2-3 months. Because of this, you can imagine that any day I have where I am without pain I am spending with my family. I can no longer put my hobbies and programming as a "priority" in my life, because I have such precious little time remaining. Most of my days are spent stuck at home, limited by my strength, pain, or nausea. I'm trying desperately to get enough nutrition into my body now to get strength to try some possible therapies, but these are only short-term extenders at best; there is no long term cure option available today (of course, you never know what new drug or treatment might show up at any time). I know this will be a shock to some of you, and not so much to others who have known my medical roller coaster over the past many years. My absence here remains completely due to my health, and not due to my lack of interest or desire to see Fly! grow. I wish there were more that I could do, but realistically I am at the end of my contribution to the product. I am very pleased to see that others are continuing to develop for Fly!, and I know of a couple of projects (one in particular) that upon release should really make alot of people happy. There are still good days ahead for Fly!, and many people still plugging away at some fabulous add-ons. As for TRI, the company has moved primarily to console development, and Fly! is in the history books. I continue to talk and work with my bosses to see if there are any possibilities for Fly! continuing, either through partnership or some form of limited public release. If and when this happens, either I or someone from TRI will make an announcement. If anyone is interesting in reaching me personally, you can through e-mail at:richattri@yahoo.comOr through postal mail:Richard Harveyc/o Terminal Reality Inc.2274 Rockbrook Dr.Lewisville, TX 75067Miracles can and do happen; I've personally had many over the past 6 years. But I also don't know God's plan, and his plan may be for me to come home soon. I don't consider this my farewell from AVSIM -- yet. When that day comes, I'll make a final post to the group. Until then, your thoughts and prayers are appreciated, and I thank all of you for your TREMENDOUS support for me and my family over the years. I owe each of you a debt of gratitude, and I plead with each of you to take advantage of your good health and spend your time wisely, either with those you love or the things you love doing. Peace and love to each of you,Rich

Guest chezz

Hi Rich,Miracles can happen! You're always be remembered in my prayers. PLEASE FORGET THE FLY2 PATCH. chris rpll

Guest Philip Olson

Richard, I am truly sorry to hear that your health has had another decline, but as you say miracles do happen and you know that each of us will pull and pray for you all we can. Please do not put too much of your energy towards another patch, you need the energy more than we do! I personally have to thank you for all you have done for us, you are the class act around here, it is too bad there aren't more like you in this world. Well I am praying for you and hope that you start feeling better soon.With highest regards, Philip

Guest Jan

Hello Rich.I don't know what to write, don't find words.Feel very verysad.And shoched.Life do feel unfair.Never ever give up hope.My thoughts goes to you and your family.Thanks for your honesty.To bad many of us forget what's important in life.Jan

Rich,I too am at a loss for words. I was hoping your lack of participation was due to other than health issues. I am so sorry to read your health has taken a turn for the worse.I completely agree with the others "Please forget about the patch". The time you can spend with your family is so much more important.Peace and tranquility to you and your family.Bob Lyddy

I wish I knew what to say, but I'm sorry about the news Rich. Try to keep your spirits up. Your family as well as yourself will be in my prayers. Sincerly,kristian nader

Guest tonyc

HIGH FLIGHT by John Gillespie Magee, Jr. Oh, I have slipped the surly bounds of earth And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings; Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth Of sun-split clouds - and done a thousand things You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung High in the sunlit silence. Hovering there, I've chased the shouting wind along , and flung My eager craft through footless halls of air. Up, up the long delirious, burning blue I've topped the windswept heights with easy grace Where never lark or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand and touched the face of God. tony

Hi Rich,A tough situation that I cannot comprehend. My prayers are with you and your family. Miracles do happen as someone else pointed out above. All I can contribute are these prayers as I hope others will pray as well.For HealingLord, You invite all who are burdened to come to You. Allow your healing hand to heal me. Touch my soul with Your compassion for others. Touch my heart with Your courage and infinite love for all. Touch my mind with Your wisdom, that my mouth may always proclaim Your praise. Teach me to reach out to You in my need, and help me to lead others to You by my example. Most loving Heart of *******, bring me health in body and spirit that I may serve You with all my strength. Touch gently this life which You have created, now and forever. Amen.Prayer for the SickOmnipotent and eternal God, the everlasting Salvation of those who believe, hear us on behalf of Thy sick servant, N., for whom we beg the aid of Thy pitying mercy, that, with his bodily health restored, he may give thanks to Thee in Thy church. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.To Saint PeregrineO great St. Peregrine, you have been called "The Mighty," "The Wonder-Worker," because of the numerous miracles which you have obtained from God for those who have had recourse to you. For so many years you bore in your own flesh this cancerous disease that destroys the very fiber of our being, and who had recourse to the source of all grace when the power of man could do no more. You were favored with the vision of ******* coming down from His Cross to heal your affliction. Ask of God and Our Lady, the cure of the sick whom we entrust to you. (Pause here and silently recall the names of the sick for whom you are praying)Aided in this way by your powerful intercession, we shall sing to God, now and for all eternity, a song of gratitude for His great goodness and mercy. Amen.******************Here is a link for other prayers as well:http://www.catholic.org/clife/prayers/index.phpBest Regards,Joe

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

Guest ben_

RichTough news to take in.Apart from prayers your strength is required - do not stress out over Fly! or its users - we'd like you around as a healthy forum member.God bless to you and your family.Ben

Guest DSandberg

Rich,You're in my thoughts and prayers on a daily basis. And each of those times I am reminded that each and every day any of us have here is a gift from God. Seeing the courageous way you've made and continue to make the most of your days ... well, it has been and always will continue to be an unexhaustable source of inspiration for me. Thank you for everything!- David Sandberg

Guest pilotsim7828

Rich : I sent you a personal E- Mail About the patch , How can we be so selfish , To want another patch !! Take care of yourself . Love & Prayers to you ,and your family Jeff Akins rakins@charter.net Fort Worth Tx

Rich,I'm deeply saddened to hear this, although I felt it might be the case by reading between the lines of the previous post.Although I may have got on your nerves a few times in the past, I've always respected your work and devotion to advancing flight simulation. In a number of ways, you created a "niche" in the flight sim market that is un-equaled! And I hope to see it carried on.Wish you well..... as much as possibleL.Adamson

Guest Javier

Rich!Sad is not a word to describe how bad I feel to read about your situationYou have changed our life, it is our turn to give you back some. Our prayers are with you. We can't dictate you what to do / not do , just do whatever you want and we will support and understand you 100%.To us You are a mentor in FLY! and an example in Life!Enjoy your love ones just as much as we enjoy seeing you around here Miracles do happen! GOD told me patch 7 is on its way... hold on.PS:don't forget to patch the "little spaces" with your love ones.;)Best Regards.Javier.(I couldn't remove my signature this time, don't take it as a request )