Sign in to follow this  
Guest jonpoint

Size DOES matter...

Guest jonpoint

FU3 modeller's tip #3186: Remember what units you're working in!In the endless 'metres to inches' and vice-versa, combined with using different programs, it pays to write down what you've done! How's the 13 metre props eh? Wouldn't want to sit in Business Class :-lolThe two 'suns' have the same problem - they're actually the anti-collision strobes...http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3e8782737b82e13a.jpgToo many late nights I suppose :-( BTW, the strange textures on the fuse are 'generic wireframe' textures which will be uploaded (in 1024x1024) at the same time as the Dash-8 to make it easier for you livery creators out there.PS If anyone wants to start on a livery, the model (in the right size...) and base textures are available from me NOW! Please send me an email and I'll send a package to you :-waveJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest Robert_S

I am in PAIN!The pic was still unviewable, I hadn't scrolled down yet until I read "Wouldn't want to sit in Business Class". I then scrolled down and about fell out of my chair. :-lolGreat laugh, Jon, thank you. :-)[table][tr][td valign=top]http://www.avsim.com/other/usaribbon.gif[/td][td valign=center]Bob "FlyBert" StilesAVSIM Moderator[/b][/td][/tr][/table]"Don't stall on me, I have to soar!"~Richard Harvey, 1/21/2003

Guest jonpoint

Ah Bob,Seeing that few get to appreciate the difficulties involved in creating aircraft, I wanted to 'share my frustration' in a humorous way! The scaling problem is a common error when software forces you back to 'inches' when FU3 works in metres! Suffice to say, those using Gideon's Prop editor should remember it works in metres! It's all fuuuun :-hahJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest R_Driscoll

I don't understand the problem here. Business class couldn't complain - they would have the best aircon ever. Handy too for shredding confidential documents before landing - just hold them up to the blades. But if you're worried about the blades cutting the plane in half, we just need a little ingenuity, a bracket reaching from the top of the wings, across the blade arcs, to the top of the cockpit. Why has no-one thought of this before? At the end of the trip, simply hang the plane up by its bracket out of the way, get the next plane down off the rack. It makes sense - and would save so much space! But the big advantage of course is the tilt factor. Takeoff, raise nose to vertical like a helicopter, lying back in your aircon business class seat with your paper shredder quietly whizzing away through the fuselage in front of you, the air hostess smiling as she climbs up from the galley with your drinks. And no-one's done it before!! Jon, you're a genius!Ah, how do you land it?

Guest jonpoint

"Ah, how do you land it?"By digging two, long furrows...Either that or use 'Inspector Gadget Scissor-action extendo legs'. BTW, it was actually a secret FAA testbed to prevent 'coachies' stealing busines-class meals ;) Geez, Rob. We've degenerated again. Is there something weird in our water? And where are some of your 'wonders'? I still remember the 'back-trac' backwards-running tractor. I had a similar motorcycle. I think the stupidest(!) thing I ever did was mistake a model name when placing moving models and had a small office-block driving around CVA! That and my dog-sized VW... :-hahPS Have copied the disks but still not installed yet. Will send them this week.Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest R_Driscoll

You've got to install! Its well worth it - why anyone ever left England to come and live in this desert of Australia is beyond me - you'd only do it as a punishment. The scenery in the old country is pretty good. But flat. I still enjoy Seattle/SanFran because they're a bit hilly. But the UK resolution and colour are excellent - look at the uploaded photos! Go for it!I won't be flying tonight. My computer has kicked the bucket, departed this mortal coil and headed off to join Univac in a better world. But it will rise, with 60 Gb dripping from its jaws, ready to reload in a few days.I have tried overtexturing Gatwick, with disastrous results - the framerates dropped through the floor and were well into the basement before I thought this is no good and undid it. By overtexturing, I mean adding texture to grass, taxiways etc. I think the only way to do this in FU3 with reasonable textures is to make better use of LOD's - add simpler versions of models that are shown at distance. But that's a fair bit of work. So for the moment, I will stick to minor changes to the airport. Anyway, the natural scenery is so detailed that by the time you're a few humdred feet off the ground it no longer matters.Anyway, I'll have severe withdrawal tonight!! Hope you get your props fixed,RobD

Jon,You are in good company when it comes to confusing metres with feet and inches. NASA made the same mistake with one of its Mars probes and, well........you can probably work out what happened :-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Ansgar

Hi Jon, :D :D :DBoy that thing looks impressive! First I thought you want to have an horrible amount of forward power because big props have an high efficiency...and that together with your 5000hp engines....it must be going forward like a rocket! ;-)The second I thought is:at this horrible power forward it is no problem to hold the nose together with the rest....but what happens if you have landed and brake....will the nose fall down then??? :-)In conclusion a great idea to increase the efficiency factor of an plane .... but the disadvantages must be discussed with the passengers;-)At the end a small tip from me:I never had problems with inch/metric units. First I set the default parameters to "metric units" in 3Dstudio and removed the conversion factors in the bsp.cfg file.Once you did this you never have conflicts with something like that above, because all you create is metric and so there is no need of reconversion etc.This is sure easy to handle for people who didn

Guest jonpoint

Ansgar,The metric/imperial conversions aren't a real problem - I just decided to quickly fix the props before a test flight and didn't think (the spec in front of me was in feet...). Besides, it was 1:30AM and I was pretty tired :-(With any luck, I may have a flyable beta ready in a week or so. Right now I'm trying to sort out the flight model as it's a bit tail-heavy and I'm not getting the correct top speed. The Dash-8 uses very low-geared props (~1500RPM) and I think this is causing my problem, even though I have 2500SHP to play with. I'm trying some prop changes but the results are a bit weird right now. I'm also having some 'weirdos' with the lighting! My landing lights come up at @h06 & @h07 (I thought these were strobes) and my taxi light comes up as @v11... And I still cannot make the spoilers pop up :-grrRob, Yes I will get the UK happening this week. Then I can jump into Dago Red and go and annoy the hell out of the rellies }>Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest Ansgar

Dear Jon,ahhhh now we come to the more interesting problems in FU3-modeling.... ;-) :DExactly all this nasty things around all the possible axles, lights etc. are the things which costs also me a horrible time to adjust in the B747 project.Some of the axles I also couldn

Ansgar,I appreciate that you are bound to have problems when building these flyable planes, but I would just like to make you aware of something that was mentioned in the chat.That 747 (and all of those other planes that were suggested) are supposed to be ready by Thursday AT THE LATEST ! :-lolChris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest jonpoint

"...ready by Thursday AT THE LATEST !Sure, Chris!You CAN have the Dash-8 as long as you don't mind 13 metre props and a 'Spiderman' livery...Just for you I could extend the gear to reach the ground but you'll need a fire ladder to board the aircraft :-hahOh, and the radio still says 'Beechjet'... and it does 396kts :-eekBuuuuuut.... we're gettin' there! A coupla weeks ;)"Jon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************

Guest Ansgar

HEY CHRIS! }>Tse, tse, tse .... it seems I must "flap you with the trout" again to wake you up out of your dreams! :-hahAfter you

Ansgar,"Tomorrow morning" must mean something completely different in Germany. Here it means "the morning of the day after today", which is clearly ridiculous as far as any "beta" versions of F18 jets are concerned :-lolSeriously though, I am looking forward to the day when I will be able to see high detail AI versions of F18 jets, Starships, Concordes....flying in the same skies as upgraded 747-400's, Airbus A400M's, and Jon's Dash 8 ! :-sae Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest jonpoint

Chris,From a corporate background, 'tomorrow morning' actually means 'ask someone else - and I'm having tomorrow off...' :-hahSince you are obviously floundering here (since Ansgar slapped you with the fish!), let me help. I will send you an F16 or F18 'blank' model as a binfile. Then you can import into the Mooney model (there's a method in my madness - the Mooney is the only FU3 aircraft with one engine and spoilers) and play with the flight model by pasting the Beechjet engine settings into the model file - easy! That done you can then isolate the required axles and surfaces, name them accordingly and update the axle control file to suit. Now, you need to recreate the model with gear so I'll also send the efile blank. Once that's all done you can merge the materials file with the model using BSP and start creating textures. Once that's done you can....Chris? Chris? Chris! Where's he gone? Chriiiiiiiiiis!Durn. Why do people run away at the mere mention of a night's work*?I dunno - these casual flyers :-lol*One night in the Arctic winter maybe BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :-eekJon Point*************************(effyouthree@hotmail.com)*************************