Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Very strange problem

I have currently set myself the task of adding pylons throughout the Seattle region. However, I have encountered a problem.FLED crashed at one point during construction work, and now I have a rogue pylon. If I simply try to delete the pylon, FLED crashes. Then, I noticed that the SEATTLE PYLONS folder contained a model file for each of the megatiles where the pylons were located. So, I worked out which megatile my rogue pylon was located in (aeac)...and deleted that particular model file. I checked in FU3, and the model had vanished.Fine....except that when I added those pylons that I had removed, the rogue pylon magically reappeared :-fumeHmmm, maybe the package folder itself is to blame. Right, so I decided to create new folders (a separate one for each of the megatiles where the pylons were located). I checked in FU3, and the rogue pylon had vanished. So far, so good.I then created a TOTALLY NEW FOLDER for the aeac megatile...and unbelievably....the rogue pylon is back !!! :-eek :-eekHow is this possible ? :-fume :-fume :-fumeThis problem is really starting to p*** me off. I could leave the stupid b*****d pylon where it is, but I really don't want a crappy piece of rubbish blotting the FU3 landscape.Can anyone possibly help here ? Is there any way of getting rid of garbage like this ?HELP !!!Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest effyouthree

Chris,Been there before and it was ugly!I found the same thing with rogue trailers at Lewis Valley. I'd placed 2 trailers there, then sometime later updated the mipfiles. To my surprise, FLED didn't like it and refused to even display them!After restarting the PC and opening FLED, they were there but 'undeletable'. Same as you, FLED crashed when I tried to save after deleting. :-grr :-grrMy 'solution' was weird. I tried deleting the models from the gen folder but they were still there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!So, in desperation, I edited the efiles to remove the mipfiles and reloaded them. In FLED, I easily found the 2 white trailers and deleted them. Gingerly, I clicked the 'save' button and it worked. Later, I replaced them with new ones. THAT package is the one uploaded to Avsim, so I know it worked!There seem to be a number of things to this. I have mentioned before about FU3's apparent 'cache'. When altering packages, models or sometimes AIs, the changes don't ALL occur at once, sometimes not until after a reboot. This has led me to continually reboot when making changes - a time-consuming issue :-(What all this means I believe is that model info is stored in more than one place, and all the info must 'match' or you'll have problems. It has been suggested to me some time ago that, if creating my own packages, turn off the 'Iworkhere' but I don't know if that would help. The reason is, I can create a hep of new models, put them in a package and simply upload the package and models for others to use, although deleting the same files from my PC doesn't necessarily remove them from MY FU3 :-eek It seem sthat once you start editing, FU3 logs the changes somehow, and if the process is not completed (FLED crash), it 'undoes' something. If you merely paste a new package in though, it works fine.Sorry I didn't help but this discussion is important to me. Maybe you could paste what you've posted here into Daniel's 'Developer's' site as well, for maximum impact?Oh, I'm also shocked and disappointed - my pylons are precision-engineered and definitely not rubbish ;) Of course, I can't comment on the installations though :-lol The others you placed are still gracing my skylines! I am concerned though, about creating packages that 'share' tiles with other packages. My initial 'poles across Seattle' package seemed to cause problems and I thought it was because I was placing pylons and poles within other package boundaries. Also, the framerate hit was too huge (there were 80 towers and >100 poles :-eek ).:-waveRegards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"

Jon,The completed pylons package will have far more than a mere one hundred towers ! As for the framerates, this issue is irrelevant on my Athlon 64 PC :9 The rogue pylon may have to stay, unless I get lucky. My next attempt will be to remove the SEATTLE PYLONS AEAC package completely, and add the pylons to a couple of existing packages (Shady Acres and Kapowsin Field, since these are the two nearest airfields to the areas in which the "aeac" pylons are located). I don't expect this to solve the problem, but I have to try it :-)Your pylons certainly aren't rubbish. If they were, then I wouldn't be wasting my time adding them to the scenery ;-)I am glad that you are enjoying the pylons in my airfield packages. The new pylons will blend seamlessly with these packages, resulting in a beautiful network of pylons throughout the Seattle region (some even stretch deep into the Cascade mountains) !This pylons package will be part of a Seattle 2004 update that I would like to release in the near future. This will include everything that I have added, modified and tweaked since the original package was released. A SanFran 2004 update will also be uploaded at the same time. I am desperate for the new AI Pack to be completed, so that I can add Dash 8 and DHC6 parking spots at various airports throughout both regions. Well, there's no point in releasing something that is incomplete ;-)I will post a few screenshots soon.Chris Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest effyouthree

Chris,Let me know how it goes. I too tried to run them all the way to the power stations, but all in one package (which I think was a problem as it straddled about 10 other packages...).I have sent 9 Dash-8s and 5 DHC6s to Ansgar. Maybe he could put a posting on the the Developer's forum to keep us up to date? I'm sure everything will surface soon ;):-waveRegards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"

Jon,I have all of the pylons in one package at the moment, and everything is working perfectly. I estimate that the project is 60-70 per cent complete. I had to delete one pylon near Olympia airport, since it was a bit too close to the runway 17 approach !As for the rogue pylon, adding the "aeac" pylons to other packages did not solve the problem. Since the pylons in this megatile were in two different locations, I have split them up. The "northern" group have been added to my Shady Acres package, but the other three pylons (in the location where the rogue pylon is located) have been removed completely for the moment. I will decide what to do when I complete the entire SEATTLE PYLONS pack.Your pylon models are displayed to a considerable distance, but I have not encountered any framerate issues. I suppose this will need testing on "lesser" PCs before the package is released :-lolChris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I'm not sure what do you write about ( I don't have time to think ) but I experienced the problems with models when moving them between 2 megatiles. When you work at the boudaries of 2 megatiles and move a model from 1 point to another, and this new position is in another megatile, you'll get errors. Fled doesn't delete the model from old position but it begins transparent - you can fly through it. The boundaries of megatiles are not seen. The only solution is to delete the file from MODELS folder.B.Adamski

Hi All,Yes this is correct, the model is written in 2 mod files at the tile boundary. You must delete it in both mod files.Use FledViewer to do this. You can just delete the model entry in the mod file that way. :-wave agtim

Very well. I didn't know that it can do it !B.Adamski