Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stamatis

Virtual John is gone?

Guest 727Fan

So I go on vacation for a week and return to a thread that discusses John's departure?????What's happened here? John has helped me immensly. He responds to e-mails requesting advice and direction on software, regardless of who developed it.Now I'll thank Lee Swordy for his TTools, but it's John who helped me make it all work. And he offered timely and accurate help with Add a Gate.So there's something about false accusations and software piracy going 'round? And John decided to pick-up and leave? This isn't right!! A talented guy like John leaving is a disgrace to what I, a relative newcomer to this arena, has come to expect from the flight sim community. This is a place of courtesy and mutual respect, of helping minds for problems that baffled (and still baffle) flight simmers globally.Wow. I'm sorry to see him leave in such chaos. Will he still help me out if I need it?Rick

Hi Rick :)It seems to be the way things have become .If you do Something then Decide to share it with others ,with no reason other than to share it ,Some person at some time will attack you for a reason i do not know.As we are doing Improving for the same reason it is strange why we get attacked in this way ,I have been myself and thought Why Am i bothering ,Why not just do it for me and "stay safe" but the desire to share with others is Strong ,so we continue untill thing get too bad.The lesson here is to be more gentil with people who give stuff for free and be less quick to complain and critisise.If I try something I do not like i Then put it in my bin and forget it, if I like it i keep it and put it on my cd so i can keep it.I made a Royal air MAroc 737 repaint for a person who requested it and thought i would upload for others ,But before I had done this ,somebody else uploaded a Royal air maroc 737 :)My first thought was not to accuse them of stealing my idea but I compare it with mine and decide that it was Much better and put Mine in the bin lolSo Lets be NICE to each other ,before more people Have "enough"Anniette xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Something is awfully fishy about this. It's a shame that a good man like John gets burned. He has abandoned FS totally from last word and is finished with it for good. It's a damned shame to loose such talent. I hope as time goes by he may reverse his decision, but I have a feeling he won't. There are some "dirty" players out here and their names will always mean "pass" to me. I'll never download their stuff. Seems ethics have been replaced by the "look at me" attitude. I like to think that you EARN the "look at me" because of hard work and hours spent, not thru dirty pool. Egos are also to figure into it and some folks will do ANYTHING to feed their egos. I also "pass" on ego-mania downloads too. There are too many good folks who are themselves, no matter what they do or design. Those are the folks I want to associate with. I despise phoneys! Just my opinions!Don

Yep Don, unfortunately the Flightsim Community is just like the real world and all other communities out there..... built of and on people, with all their good and often bad sides.The good thing about it is that each of us can decide for him/herself who to be associated with, and if all else fails, to leave the 'public' life and stick to a close group of friends. In real life that is not always possible, so it is a definite advantage of hobby communities.But losing good people for whatever reason is always a shame and seems to be the order of the day lately :-( :-outta Francois :-wave[table border=0 cellpadding=10 cellspacing=0][tr][td valign=bottom" align="center]"At home in the wild"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][link:avsim.com/alaska/alaska_051.htm|Don's Alaskan Bush Charters]"Beavers Lead the Way"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][link:www.avsim.com/vfr_center/mainpages/vfr_flights_main_page.htm]VFR Flight Center]"Looking Good Outside"[/td][/tr][tr][td valign=top" align="center]http://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif[/td][td valign="top" align="left" colspan=2]http://www.fssupport.com/images/moose2.gif[/td][tr][/table]________________________Francois A. "Navman" DumasAssociate Editor &Forums AdministratorAVSIM Online![/bemail: fdumas@avsim.com________________________

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog

Guest 727Fan

There is always room in the world for truth and light. Well intentioned and good people will ultimatly prevail over the petty and shallow, even though those same types will score hits that hurt with their intital attack.I cannot fathom why someone would delibertly flatten one of the most prolific talents in this arena. John's departure leaves a huge hole in the talent pool that regularly helps us simmers enjoy more.I've seen Mike Stone get blasted, Anniette has felt the scorn, and now John. Seems like a senseless downward spiral to self-destruction.Pity. Flight sim community; Time for a Gut Check!Rick

>There is always room in the world for truth and light. Well >intentioned and good people will ultimatly prevail over the >petty and shallow, even though those same types will score >hits that hurt with their intital attack. >I cannot fathom why someone would delibertly flatten one of >the most prolific talents in this arena. John's departure >leaves a huge hole in the talent pool that regularly helps >us simmers enjoy more. Hmm-- something is wrong here!! I've followed this matter right through - both here and in the Usenet forum-- don't really know why because I have no real interest, don't know any of the people involved and don't know the real truth of the matter.Andy made an accusation in which he sounded (to me at least) highly aggrieved . He was immediately jumped upon by all and sundry and received no sympathy or hearing at all . He was accused of just about every henious crime you can imagine. John was supported by just about every poster. BUT JOHN decides to give up FS forever???????? One person accuses him - 50 people support him and villanise the accuser -- AND HE LEAVES???HmmmmBarry

Guest B1900 Mech

Hmmmm :)

>>There is always room in the world for truth and light. Well >>intentioned and good people will ultimatly prevail over the >>petty and shallow, even though those same types will score >>hits that hurt with their intital attack. >>I cannot fathom why someone would delibertly flatten one of >>the most prolific talents in this arena. John's departure >>leaves a huge hole in the talent pool that regularly helps >>us simmers enjoy more. >>>Hmm-- something is wrong here!! I've followed this matter >right through - both here and in the Usenet forum-- don't >really know why because I have no real interest, don't know >any of the people involved and don't know the real truth of >the matter. >>Andy made an accusation in which he sounded (to me at least) >highly aggrieved . He was immediately jumped upon by all >and sundry and received no sympathy or hearing at all . He >was accused of just about every henious crime you can >imagine. >>John was supported by just about every poster. BUT JOHN >decides to give up FS forever???????? One person accuses him >- 50 people support him and villanise the accuser -- AND HE >LEAVES??? >>Hmmmm >>>Barry Because not of what Andy said, but what a well respected developer (Lee Swordy) Said! Which John has helped in the past and also helped with support of his program. John didn't give two poops about what Andy said, but it really hit him hard of what Lee said! And because of the fact that John respected Lee and showed his respect by assisting Lee and supporting his program, and lee to come out in public like this, John felt that he wasn't going to offer support or his expertise in developing any programs.Yes, seems you do not know John, what John has done either, but I would betcha, you got his programs, and if you don't. Your missing out then..mitch.jpg

Is it possible john may come back as a new person here ? :)Maby he will not be Virtual this time.Anniette xxxxxxxxxxxx

Guest Edam

Maybe "Reality John?"

>Because not of what Andy said, but what a well respected >developer (Lee Swordy) Said! Which John has helped in the >past and also helped with support of his program. John >didn't give two poops about what Andy said, but it really >hit him hard of what Lee said! And because of the fact that >John respected Lee and showed his respect by assisting Lee >and supporting his program, and lee to come out in public >like this, John felt that he wasn't going to offer support >or his expertise in developing any programs. >>Yes, seems you do not know John, what John has done either, >but I would betcha, you got his programs, and if you don't. >Your missing out then.. >>mitch.jpgThen perhaps there is something in what Andy said, otherwise why would Lee side with anyone in that matter ? While it's not for me to judge, there sure is something fishy there, and not just because Lee posted.As to the John leaving, I am sorry but I don't entirely share you guys' opinion. I once sent an e-mail to John regarding his flight plans, and got a reply that he wouldn't help me because I was supposedly part of a competiting group, namely Project AI. Which I am not. I hardly know that group and certainly have never been involved with them (or any group for that matter). When I replied saying that, he refused to believe me. I don't much like being considered a liar, by John or anybody else.That said, that doesn't remove John's programming abilities (after all, Add-A-Gate came before AFDCAD). I feel that's where the loss is here, not the person. Shame he didn't actually work together with Andy on a taxi speed tool. Would sure have been great.Note: this is my opinion and I am entitled to it, feel free to disagree, you're also entitled to your opinion.__________________________________________________________EricUPDATED: List of all airlines, aircraft manufacturers and aircraft types recognised by ATC:http://www.geocities.com/eric_2203/orhttp://ftp.avsim.com/library/esearch.php?D...atID=fs2002misc

Something definately seems wrong, but from my understanding of it - there was never any suggestion than John stole "code" from Andy's version of the program. Although his program writes to the same address to change the AI speed, hardly surprising since both programs are attempting to do the same thing.I find it a strange decision to give us FS forever over this, but that does appear to be a trend that started a few months back....

Guest Stamatis

I agree with you Eric.John's talent is unquestionable. But his attitude? Well, let me just say that I did not like it as much as his programs... :-)And I for one will not simply adore someone and elevate him to "God" just because he is talented in programming.Pity he is gone though. I wish him all the best.Stamatis