Sign in to follow this  
Guest RAF_Chalky

SanFran 2006 Upgrade Packages

Guest RAF_Chalky

Hello Chris,Thank you for your help with the install of your SanFran 2006 upgrade package.Much appreciated!John:-beerchug

John,Now you need to install Ansgar Avermeyer's High Detail AI Pack. This is incredibly easy to do, and will considerably increase your enjoyment of airliner watching at the major airports :-)

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest RAF_Chalky

Hi Chris,I just love sitting between the 'Heavies' at San Francisco International in my 172.;)btw. I've downloaded a couple of additional aircraft! The DC3, and Stemme S6-T from the AVSIM library. I know that I should stick with the 172, as it's best to start my training with the basic trainer, but I just couldn't resist. Got the 'Old Girl' up, and carried out a couple of circuits and bumps. The Stemme S6-T Motorglider is a different kettle of fish altogether.:( Had to read through the handling notes several times... still finding it rather hard :-grr I seem to be adjusting the elevator trim most of the time! Anyway it's time to get back in the 172 for more circuit bashing.... *:-* :-beerchug John

Gliders handle very differently. The DC-3 is like a bigger GA aircraft in most respects. Gliders have very long wings. The wingspan exceeds the length of the aircraft. While they're very stable in the true aerodynamic sense of the word they may pitch a lot. They also yaw in turns. When you plan to land a glider you'll find it takes "forever" to sink. A glide/sink ratio of 30/1 is fairly common.

Guest RAF_Chalky

Hallo Hans,Absolutely, flying the DC-3, and then the Stemme S6-T Motor Glider is rather a contrast.;) I'm fine with most pure sailplanes, but I have no experience at all with motor gliders! I presume the only airbrake as such on the S6-T is to use the negative flap (-1 or -2)positions? Stable in the longitudinal axis, but not so in the lateral axis!!;) I'll probably say with power-off landings for a while..:-)I'd forgotten just how far they can float.Takk

Guest fu3

Chalky,A contrast? I think its like eating - comparing eating a nut to a 3-course meal :-lolThe DC3 is a very stable and predictable aircraft, also amazingly rugged. To fly it, one stays a long way 'ahead' of the aircraft, especially at lower altitudes and speeds. I worked on the v1.20 DC3 and also got to see one in action first-hand. It surprised me how the pilot would full-lock the yoke and wait for a response in turns!The S6 is basically a glider with an engine in it. The glide ratio is ~33:1 in still conditions, so very little power is required for lift. Also, air currents vary a lot and with such a light aircraft and so much lift, small differences in air current and density can make a huge difference. You will need flaps AND airbrakes to land it safely, as with most gliders. Landing power-off is also a good idea, unless you have a lot of room.The negative flap positions are to reduce lift so one CAN actually descend! In mountainous conditions, the updraft may be +1-2000fpm, and venturing across the top into the downdraft area is not an option. Simply put the flaps 'up' a notch and you can descend. Two notches and you can do -2000fpm with airbrakes on and not exceed 100kts.At power, when using 100% MCP (35.2"), you may find the aircraft takes on a nose-down attitude when experiencing updrafts. This is where you can also put the flaps up one notch and level-off. You probably won't pick-up speed though, as the flaps may have reduced lift, they HAVE increased drag a bit ;)If you fly it like a glider (but with the engine on!), when flying cross-country, don't trim down to retain altitude. Just trim for speed i.e. when your speed increases, trim up and vice-versa. If your're getting lots of lift, you can throttle back to idle and cruise at 120kts+. Just avoid the lee side of mountains ;)If you need to maintain a specific altitude, increase or decrease the throttle in accordance with the variometer. This will maximise fuel efficiency. Watch VNE at 100% MCP and positive variometer readings above 4m/s!BTW, the airbrakes are on the keypad > key. There are only two positions, on and off. They're animated in the S6T.:-wave Regards,Jon Point

Guest RAF_Chalky

Yes, good analogy :)Ah, flaps AND airbrakes... that's good news.Keypad /:-sun1 Thanks. Thought their must be, but couldn't find a key to operate them. :-roll QUOTE: "Jon Point"..."Just avoid the lee side of mountains", wilco on that one.:-lolCheersJohnBTW. Would you kindly suggest a suitable airfield, and the best weather setting for thermals.:-hmmm PS. I haven't forgotten the 172 honestly. :-hahThanks again. :-beerchug

Guest fu3

John,I must confess that I use my own mostly. Also, I don't use thermals much, just ridge lift :-roll There's one in the Blanik L-13 upload: http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=39044...which I did in honour of John Lewis (Glidernut). That one works OK with the old terrain. Also:http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=10862and:http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=16055...also both work. My newer stuff has been redone for the new terrain so its not much use to anyone right now. I will be uploading the new terrain with flattened airstrips very soon ;)Regards,Jon Point

Guest fu3

Good question! I assumed he was frequenting the UKS lot, me having been 'away' for the past year :-lolI like my UKS but it stutters too much and the mountains aren't as pretty. There is a lot of it though ;)Still, I prefer Sanfran over UKS in many ways. Now that Seattle is 99% done (except for an annoying problem at Renton), I might even get back to those bridges. Ahhhh, bridges :-waveAnd you'll be pleased to know that I've included your packages for most of the 56 strips done so far. I had already developed some packages over the years but there's probably only about 10-15 of these, the rest are pretty much 100% yours ;)Regards,Jon Point

I'm honoured, Jon ;-)As for the bridges, YES PLEASE ! I could create scenery packages for each one (you know, a few trees, buildings, the odd sailboat etc). Let's see if I can remember the list.......Dumbarton Road BridgeDumbarton Rail BridgeBenicia-Martinez Road BridgeBenicia-Martinez Rail BridgeAntioch Road BridgeRio Vista Road BridgeI also seem to remember that you were interested in creating a more detailed version of the Golden Gate Bridge.Lots of work there :-)

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest fu3

Um yeah :-rollEr, Golden Gate Bridge? Split into 4 parts, straddles a megaitle boundary. One part always pops up *:-* I have a solution though - create all of the parts with a common (but displaced) anchor. Might do it first - after I fix Renton...There's a megitle boundary that's gone screwy, just South of the runway:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/181668.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/181669.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/181670.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/181671.jpgAhhh, terrain modifications are fun :-lol Regards,Jon Point

hi Jon,did you receive my mail with the new address ?have fun with terrain :-):-waveAndre

Guest RAF_Chalky

Hi Jon, Hi Chris,Jon QUOTE: "BTW, the airbrakes are on the keypad > key. There are only two positions, on and off. They're animated in the S6T."Sorry Jon, the airbrakes don't appear to work? (in my case). When I press the keypad "/" key. Looking from the various outside views, they do not animate, or do I hear any sound from their opening, or closing within the cockpit? My livery is of the UK G-BSIX skinned version, by the way. Not too sure if that should make any difference?Should I try downloading again?Cheers,John