Sign in to follow this  
Guest skyhog

TOD

Guest skyhog

Hi JD, just wondering how the TOD is calculated. Is there a formulathat is used depending on cruise FL? Using the FMC in the PMDG 737 Igot my first decent 60nm from the TOD in the FMC. I was enroute to KMDW. FISDO now where in sight. Cheers

Guest bobsk8

I don't know how they predict the TOD in RC4 but it probably has something to do with the 3 - 1 rule, multiply altitude in thousands times three and and start descent x miles before that. I find that the TOD in RC4 generally happens around 20-25 miles prior to my Level D 767 FMC suggests. Better a bit to soon than too late in my opinion.

i know i answered this once before very eloquently. do a search on TOD or 11000 or 12000. if you still can't find it, i'll write it up againjd

Hi all,What would be cool is to have option 'descent when ready' from cruise altitude when above FL240. Then FMC capabilities on advanced addons like LDS or PMDG could be utilised even better.Also I suppose this is also a realistic procedure if allowed by circumstances - atleast I can recall in real world getting this sort of clearance on flights into EFHK and ESSA when I have been able to get the jump seat on flightdeck for my flight.Also with previous RC version one was able to ask (and obtain) cruise level again after initial descent and when at FMC calculated TD ask for lower levels to FL 150 and the get final clearances from there. I do miss this a bit since initial descent (380 - 350 etc.) during low traffic levels/areas comes very early for most addons. Best Rgs Perttu

Hi Perttu,It's already there :-)When told to descend from cruise choose the '3 PD' option.You will request the descent at pilots discretion. Usually it will be allowed.All the best,John

Guest mmcevilley

>Hi Perttu,>>It's already there :-)>>When told to descend from cruise choose the '3 PD' option.>>You will request the descent at pilots discretion. Usually it>will be allowed.>>All the best,>>John... note that the PD option only displays if YOU have comms. -michael

Let me add my bit to this discussion since I used it frequently during testing. How successful you are in getting a PD depends on time of day (night will be more successful than day) and the number of runways at the destination airport. Lesser is definitely better.But, there's a little workaround to this if you're refused the first time. After a refusal the option remains so just keep requesting (nagging) and eventually the controller will lose the will to live and grant you a PD. I believe this also works for male pilots as well as female ones :-lolCheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi John,Thanks, I guess I should read the manual...Everything has been working so well that I have not bothered reading it thru sofar. Best Rgs Perttu

Guest skyhog

To add to my first question. What does ATC expect for a decent rate?The initial decent rate from FL380 say, is the timing based on FPMand what would the norm be.

if the distance to the arrival airport is less than (plane altitude - arrival elevation) / 250 then i start you downjd

Guest mmcevilley

>To add to my first question. What does ATC expect for a>decent rate?>The initial decent rate from FL380 say, is the timing based on>FPM>and what would the norm be. Very good question - and no definitive answer. The bottom line is this - if you are not descending at a high enough rate, ATC will let you know! ;-)FWIW: If I get an early descent (early defined as 40+ miles before my calculated T/D), and I accept it (that is, do not request and get a PD), I might start down at a rate as low as 500 FPM. But usually, I'll go with 1000 FPM.In other instances, I will engage the DES NOW mode, which for my aircraft initiates a descent at 1200 FPM until intercepting the pre-calculated descent path. Sometimes that intercept does not occur until below FL270.-michael

Guest skyhog

Thanks JD & Michael, that is what I was looking for.