Sign in to follow this  
markadeane

'Controller knows best' example number 232

Hi all,Had a great first flight with RC last night, BA551 from EGLL-LIRF, in the LDS763, no troubles and a completely uneventful flight. I even got a perfect flight critique from JD at the gate. 'This RC4 is no big hurdle' I said to myself as I popped open a beer...Then came today's LH422 from EDDF to KBOS.Having loaded up my PMDG747 I made an uneventful departure. About 8 hours later as I approached Boston, I planned to repeat what I had done the night before in the 763. I would receive my initial descent clearance (well in advance of my computed T/D point) and request for it to be Pilot's Discretion. THEN, in my wisdom, I would commence descent when it suited Captain ME.This would have been fine but for the crossing restriction I was issued with about 57 miles out of Boston: 12,000 feet at 40nm DME Boston. At this point I was still at FL230 or thereabouts, Uh oh.I quickly established the 40nm point on the ND, wound the MCP Alt down to 12,000, pushed the VS wheel forward to -3,000FPM and beyond then threw the spoilers out. Down we went, like a bag of rocks. To my (only partial) credit I got close, I crossed 40nm BOS at 12,400 feet. Boy did JD chew me out. One left orbit later I got handed over to approach. By now I had pretty much lost my rag and was half a mile behind the aircraft mentally. I ended up getting balled out again for being downwind at 240Kts. Then missed my base vector call. The only good part of the approach was that I got it together for the landing, possibly my best in the 744. Sweet...SO, what's the lesson? Forget your fancy FMC-computed T/D point, when ATC says 'HUH! get down!', DO IT as through the godfather of soul himself had commanded you. Use SPD & V/S to conduct the descent at a suitable rate and keep an ear out for those vectors.I thought I was pretty competent in my 'air'manship but clearly tonight I hit mental saturation levels for the first time in FS. For this reason I must say that this is the single best 'overall' sim enhancement I have purchased. Some will consider this perverse, but I ENJOY being humbled by my own ineptitude as it reminds me that this is a simulation, not a game.Thanks John and team, this is a real gem. I only hope that my future encounters with ATC are more conformist!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

good feedback.the request for pilots discretion after the initial descent clearance was one of the most asked for enhancements. i guess it should come with a warning. "use at your own risk"if only you had enough room for another signature :-)jd

Couldn't agree more, having just completed a flight from KMDW - KSFO and smugly assuming "Ha ! Ample fuel here...". Well FSDO had other ideas, Hells teeth, did I get chewed out !This just gets better and better....K.

> if only you had enough room for another signature :-)I'm currently drawing a hybrid one up to fit in all the add-ons I support/use. Bit of a mission though!