Sign in to follow this  
ronzie

Altitude Clearance at IAP Request Grant

Flying into Seviila, Spain, LEZL from the ENE I was on approach ENE of IAF ROTEX. The published MEA here is 3000. I knew I was facing a steep descent and thought surrounding terrain might keep me artificially high after ROTEX.I requested an IAP while still ENE some miles of ROTEX. In granting this I received the clearance to perform the IAP (ILS RWY 27) which allows a published descent after ROTEX to 3000 descending to 2000 for steep GS capture.The problem is while still quite a bit ENE of ROTEX the IAP clearance granted an immediate descent to 2500 while still in a higher terrain area of 4800 (quad 48) as noted on the STAR. It seemed like this clearance to 2500 only on the IAP grant was much too early. Now the MEA on the route entry close to ROTEX is 3000, but 2500 is still too low.Nothing important and I'll see if I can find a .pdf of the STAR and IAP. Hope you can understand a little Spanish. The plates I have came hard copy with the Aerosoft scenery.

Perhaps a real ATCer could chime in, but in this instance, what RC means is that you are cleared down TO 2500 at your own discretion as you're following the IAP procedure. It doesn't imply you must decend to 2500 immediately.In high terrain areas as the LEZL approach seems to be, checking NOTAMS for the arrival will also help. The controller will then give you some leeway for terrain avoidance.Subs

Guest Douglas Thompson

Ron,You know RC intimately, moreso than most and first I want to thank you for all your input on this forum. You are much appreciated sir!And you're aware, RC doesn't refer to the MSA restrictions found on plates beyond globally. If there are multiple altitudes for instance, we'll use the highest (safest). That obviously causes problems, one of them being extended downwind legs.Another problem is what you're seeing. All I can tell you Ron is to actively use the MSA box on the Controller Info tab. Take note of your inbound direction and input the most appropriate altitude per quadrant.I'm showing LEZL ILS DME Rwy 27 MSAs to be (from the NW to NE clockwise) 4000ft. The remaining 75% circle shows 3500ft. Difficult to comment as I don't know if we're looking at the same plate but in this case, approaching from the ENE, I'd likely use 3500ft in the MSA box, stay at that altitude until either the IAF (SPP) or established on the 10m arc, then go with the plates specific restrictions.You probably knew all this but am hoping it helps...

. . . which is what I did. It is just when I was using vectors I was kept higher for the usual resons but when switching to the IAP I thought I was told I could descend immediately (that far out) to 2500 until merged. Perhaps I misunderstood as posted above. I thought the methodology might be different between the response to terrain sampling between vectoring altitude restrictions and that given with an IAP clearance.The charts came in hard copy from the boxed Aerosoft Spanish Airports 2 and are in Spanish. The information matches your description above. I came in using VULPE1M but I was still NE of VULPE where once past the MEA is 3000.No problem.Hasta luego or whatever and thanks for your compliments.