Sign in to follow this  
Guest davaz

What Happened?

Guest davaz

Tonight I set up a flight in the LD767 using RCv4 and AS6. The flight plan was from KIAH to KSAT. Lot of traffic to 15L and I waited my turn. Finally was told to taxi into position and hold.Before I could take off, RC landed a plane right on top of me and there was a collision. I don't think I did anything wrong -- what happened?By the way my traffic density setting was 67%RegardsDave

how long did it take to position and hold. without a log, it is hard for me to tell exactly what happened.if there is a plane < 2 miles away from the threshold, i continue making you hold. if he was 2.1, and i told you to position and hold, it's possible he got there before you.jd

Given the way FS generates and handles AI traffic, I'm surprised RC does as well as it does. I always check the approach to the runway before entering as I generally run traffic at 100% and FS will suddenly pop in an AI plane, or two, (sometimes looks like dragonflies in a mating ritual) on a 1 mile final. You can usually spot airline traffic approaching the runway from about 5 miles out if your plane doesn't have a TCAS. I'll buy FSX if it does nothing more that improve the AI system over FS9; it's the MOST annoying aspect of FS9 for me. Mike

it's pretty hard to program for, as well. you're right, i didn't think about ai appearing from nowhere. i can't catch all of them.jd

JD, having been caught out by this before, maybe you could consider having a logical rule something like:If AI > 4 mile final = line upIf AI < 4 mile final = line up and expidite departure (with option to decline clearance and wait)IF AI < 2.5 mile final = hold shortOn 2 mile final at (say) 140knots, that aircraft is 51 seconds from touchdown, and - going by the MS AI go-around logic - probably about 40-45 seconds from the decision height. That's not a lot of time to manoevure a fully laden 747 onto the runway, come to a complete stop and run the power up. Indeed, the takeoff run of a 747 at MTOW is about 40 seconds long on its own, basically meaning that the AI will have to go around as your 747 will still be on the runway at that point.EDIT: Obviously this doesn't protect you from the 'pop-up boeing' syndrome, but does offer you some indication of just how much time you have to get your TOGA on.

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Guest tmanaon

jd, i do not think that it's always a case of AI appearing out of nowhere. It seems that 2 out of 3 times when i fly with RC4 these days, ATC will clear me into the runway to line up and wait while i can see an incoming a few miles off on the TCAS. In my case though, ATC will get the AI to do a go around. They've not landed one on me yet. It always makes me wonder why ATC will clear me into the runway and wait a while before clearing me for takeoff when there is an aircraft bearing down on me.BTW, can ATC see when there is traffic on the runway? Yesterday i was cleared to take off at KLAX (after lining up) and i could see an aircraft crossing the the active at the other end that appeared to have stopped right on the runway. After waiting for the aircraft to move and it didn't, i did a steep takeoff. I did not want to abort and have to redo my prep. I almost stalled out my aircraft.Anthony

the other plane should not have been stopped, unless it was going to the runway you were on.as stated earlier, if the ai is > 2.5 miles out, i line you upjd