Sign in to follow this  
Guest abaragones

Weird sound problem

Guest abaragones

Hi, I have RCv4, since it was released. All updates included (including FSX temp update). 2 days ago the sound stoped working. Everything else that uses saund works perfect, but when I click in the sound icon to get the callsign it just makes a wird 1 sec noise and stops....if I start the program is the same thing, I will get the instruction by text but no voice. Using the backups, I can go back to ver. 4.2 (latest for FS9 and same thing happens)Now the weird part, for some reason I have a backup Winwood folder inside rcv4 folder (Winwood backup). If I rename this folder to only winwood and the current winwood to "winwood backup" everything works, without of course all the extra voices....any suggestions? what is wrong? how to fix it? why did it happen?Thank you.

Go into one of the winwood folders that is giving you known sound problems. Double click a few of the wavs and Windows Media Player or other sound player you have should play them out. If they sound good, then the problem lies within RC and FS. If they sound bad then they need to be replaced.Your comment on regarding other sounds are you talking about within FS or other applications. I say this because some people have experienced video and audio problems after installing the FX demo. When the demo was removed problems occurred. I suspect the FS demo might have installed the latest DX9.c released in October of this year replacing the DX9c from 2005. I wonder if that is causing problems since I believe the Direct Sound component is being used.Run dxdiag.exe and look at version numbers and try the various tests.

Guest abaragones

Hi Ron, thank you for your help!I tried the sound files in the winwood subfolders (1...99 etc, under the winwood folder with problems) and all of them play well (windows media player opens and the sound is fine).Other sounds, either from FS or any other application are ok. The sounds from the winwood backup are ok too....weird..Just run dxdiag.exe and found no problems...I guess I can redownload all of the "new" voices and start addign them one by one....Oh one more thing...you now how when you hit the "play" thing to make RCv4 say your callsign and flight number it makes a new sound file in the winwood folder (named pilot etc), if I use the backup winwood folder, these files are ok (you can play them with windows media player) but If I use the regular winwood folder, windows media player has a message saying taht it cannot play those files....they look pretty similar under properties...Hope this makes sense..

Guest abaragones

Hi jd,No changes to the computer at all (software or hardware of any kind).FSX: I istalled the latest (last week) FSUIPC. No other changes/additionsThe Only change was that I installed the rcv4 FSX update last week, used it at least 3 times, it worked perfect, then stoped working. Although if I go back to 4.2 it still doesn't work.Besides thee extra voices, is there any other difference between the winwood backup and the winwood?Thank you

i don't know what the winwood backup is.there is no changes between 4.2 and 4.3, other than coding to be able to read a xml style fsx .pln filehave you tried another call sign to test?you say you can play the wavs, from the winwood directories, without a problem?there are no extra voices in the 4.3 package. the only time we added new wavs was back in 4.014.2 changed the way we put the .wav files together. 4.3 uses the same code to assemble the .wavsdid you make a backup of the rcv4 directory prior to making the 4.3 update?and if you run the rcv4.exe from the working 4.2 directory, you're saying it isn't working?i'm at a loss to what happened on your machine. maybe the most expeditious approach to getting you back up and running, is to uninstall rcv4, install it, update it with the 4.01 update, and apply the 4.2 patchthen let's see if it's working.jd

Guest abaragones

Hi JD, sorry I didn't explain this well...For some reason there is a backup winwood folder in my rcv4 directory (I didn't created). If I use the "regular" winwood it won't work, no sounds at all, none of the voices, callsigns etc. If I go to the winwood folder I can play the sund fles without a problem.If I use that "winwood backup" folder, which I think the only difference is that it has less voices (less KB) everything works fine...If I go back to 4.2 (I did backup) it still doesn't work with the regular winwood folder...Weird but realy not a big deal, I will downloadd all the extra voices and install them (the ones that came our after release)...Thanks for your help