Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

Trouble over Aspen, Colerado

RC4 has me flying into terrain EVERY time i try an Aspen approach! Bah Humbug!

Hi Phil,Did you check the NOTAMS box for Aspen? Probably not ;-) Read the manual about when to use this option.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

It wouldn't be as much fun if you knew everything at the start ;-)When NOTAMS is selected you are given descent instructions followed by the words "if able". IOW, you decide when it's appropriate to descend.In cases like this it's better if you choose the IAP option when contacting Approach and fly it as per the plates for that airport. Whilst RC knows the MSA for the airport it doesn't know which direction the high ground is. RC5 will be better in this respect.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I think you need the approach plates as well as departure procedures for KASE. Go to:www.flightaware.comclick resources, enter KASE, and then download (free) the full bundle. You can then fly the IAP and choose your method of suicide :) .Notice there is no glideslope, just a localizer/dme, or use vor/dme-gps, and only land on ryw15 or circle to land for rwy33. This is one of the most challenging airports. Visibility requirements are high and at least for a time night landings were prohibited.Note the nearby localizer/backcourse used as rwy 15 missed approach guidance for the required turn. Rwy 15 departures are prohibited.RC should have had you too high, not low, but this airport defies standard patterns. Look at the MSA for proper altitudes. Flying an IAP might be best here.For an offset VOR approach fly to DBL and descend in a racetrack pattern from your transition altitude to 14,000 and then proceed with the manually controlled vertical profile.For the localizer you would enter a straight in or right base at about 14000 or left base from DBL at 14000 descending to 13000 at JARGU intersection. Prior to DBL from the East or South entries you would be at no less than 16,000. If you take these vectors use NOTAMS and set the MSA accordingly in the RC window preflight planning.Make sure you are using RC 4.2 now and current versions of FSUIPC.Although the runway is 7000 feet this is because of the thin air. It is not an airliner airport but for aircraft like a Gulfstream with high maneuverability and great high altitude climb performance, or powerful GA aircraft.

Guest Captain Dad

That's because you don't know how to spell Colorado, yet.:-spacecraft

You guys are great - thanks!(bar one - if i wanted help with my sbelling, i'd ask)