Sign in to follow this  
JaimeHorton

EVGA 980 screen blackouts with FSX

hey everyone 

i'm getting screen blackouts with my 980 

i can still hear the sounds, however nothing i do will bring the screen back. i can ALT ENTER and its still black within the FSX screen.... i've tried other drivers and the latest with the same results 

anyone having the same issues?

im pretty much ready to try out P3D at this point and Bin FSX 

let me know if anyone has any experience with this 

Thanks 

JHo

thanks for the recommend 

i have done that and it makes no diffrence 

FSX is the only aplication that it happens on 

i play GTAv and BF4 for hours with no issues 

any other ideas 

Thank you 

JHo

Jaime,

I had the same problems with my EVGA GTX980. If you go down to the forums of EVGA, you will notice we were not alone.

Without the technical expertise to back my story up, I can only point you in the direction of a possible solution.

Download and install the EVGA PrecisionX tool from their website. (you will have to register but it is free)

With the tool installed (and please read the manual on this) you can dial in a GPU clock offset which throttles down the GPU from the maximum 'turbo' speed that is used with FSX (of P3D for that matter). In the EVGA forum one suggests an offset of -100 Mhz but I can get away with 'only' -75 Mhz.

And in the Nvidia settings, make sure that the 'power'setting for FSX is maximum power.

happy flying

Luc Brusselmans

Belgium 

Luc 

Thanks for the advice, i will give this a shot, and report back 

did it resolve your issues????

could you possibly link me to the disscusion 

i couldnt find much when i searched 

Thanks 

JHo

I have the same issue as well with my EVGA GTX 980 SC, it happened to me yesterday while playing FIFA 15 as well, I had to force shut down the computer.

Only workout for me is raising the fan speed to 40-45% seemed to make the blackout disappear...so give this a try if the above advice didn't work for you.

Good luck.

so far reducing the clock speed has worked for me 

i made two flights from KSLC to KPDX without any issues 

i will try a longer flight later 

ill post back 

Thanks 

JHo

Jaime,

It did resolve my issues completely.

Making sure that FSX/P3D used the GPU for 100% when running and reducing the max.clockspeed.

I started out with -125 Mhz, steadily raising it to -75 Mhz. Bumping it up further and the black/grey screen returned. (not as often as when I started but enough to ruin a flight so I stuck with -75Mhz)

And it was certainly not my find. I googled quite a bit to find relevant info and found some on the forums at the EVGA-website. Some of that info referred to Tom's hardware and guru3d.

I haven't tried disabling the GPU offset and raising the fan speed. Maybe that is a solution to.

I am happy it works for you to.

Luc Brusselmans

Belgium

Hello guys,

Regarding this problem, I have changed the SLI bridge and used one that came with my previous X57 mobo and the screen blackouts has gone completely !! I didn't need to lower the clockspeed or raise the fan speed or any of that..it just worked. The bridge is a normal hard bridge not those soft yellowish ones. I have done several flights and all had no problems whatsoever....Finally !!

Regards and Happy flights :)