Am flying in Norway and there is no profile. Is there any other way to see the MSA? I like to use LNM for all flight planning. Thanks.

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

Hi Maurice,

sorry, the elevation data is used from an online service that is limited to 60 degrees north. Some countries like New Zealand are missing too.

I plan to replace this with downloadable elevation data in the future that has a better coverage.

Alex

Thanks Alex.

Maurice J

Alex,

You probably know this already but if not, may I suggest you a freeware source of DEM data that might be useful in your quest for replacement elevation profile maps: https://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/topo/gltiles.html

I've been usin'em with PlanG for years and never had problems so far. Just my 2 cents... :)

Regards,

Victor Quebec

Hi Victor,

that is exactly the data I plan to use. Not sure if I can stuff this change into the next release.

Alex

No problem Alex we can wait still its done.  :wink:

Maurice J

Hi Victor,

that is exactly the data I plan to use. Not sure if I can stuff this change into the next release.

Alex

Alex,

GeoNames API also seems to be a somewhat reliable source of elevation data - at least it's based on USGS models. I am currently thinking of incorporating one of them into my skyLOGX app, but I thought it also might come in handy in LN, as it seems to require less tedious coding (just basic queries of lat/lon linked to an API key with an easily-convertible JSON output in meters) compared to what I suggested above earlier.

Just scroll down towards the end of page and you'll see various elevation sources based on lat/lon queries...

Hope this helps too!

Regards,

Victor Quebec

Hi Victor,

that is a very interesting page. Especially the geocoding and that you can download all that gazetteers (including timezone data - that can be very useful). I like the REST interfaces which make access really easy.

Unfortunately I see a few problems regarding elevation: You need an account and the number of requests is limited until you subscribe to a premium account. Even with premium a lot of requests would be needed to get the elevation points along a flight plan.

I think I can add an automatic download and extraction (with manual fall back if the link changes) for the GLOBE data. This would be perfect. I'm also eager to drop this cumbersome background processing.

BTW: Did I already ask you to learn C++, Git, STL and a bit of Qt? I need some coworkers and have plenty of tasks here. :smile: 

Alex

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately I see a few problems regarding elevation: You need an account and the number of requests is limited until you subscribe to a premium account. Even with premium a lot of requests would be needed to get the elevation points along a flight plan.

Yes, that's the way it is - if you dance, you must pay the fiddler... until you have your own code. :wink: But from my own experience with TimeZones dBase, I use a standard API key but inserted time-limited intervals for queries to the server. I didn't want to ask the users to download individual API keys given the scope of my app and the number of actual downloads. But in case of LN, the situation maybe completely different, I guess.

BTW: Did I already ask you to learn C++, Git, STL and a bit of Qt? I need some coworkers and have plenty of tasks here.

Roger that... :smile: I do C++ and Qt actually. Your (implicit) proposal sounds interesting too... 

But for me, the main drive is and has always been the goal (app or program) I want to reach in learning a particular language rather than learning the language for the sake of knowing the language only... For now I know VBA and some C++ only, since these two were required for the apps I built. Let's see...

Thanks and Good luck with all your endeavors!!!

Regards,

Victor Quebec