Sign in to follow this  
Robi77

How to overcome "low terrain" message

I still try to fly the London-Zurich flight according to the tutorial and I am almost there but only almost.When on final approach with the gear down and the flaps at 35 ( as explained in the tutorial ) I keep getting themessage " to low,terrain,to low,terrain...pull up".This happens with the autopilot on and it is supposed to be an autoland.What am I missing ? And how can I pull up with the autopilot on ? I tried to lower the gear at a lower altitude hoping to reduce drag but same result.Your hints are appreciated.ThanksHubert Werni

I still try to fly the London-Zurich flight according to the tutorial and I am almost there but only almost.When on final approach with the gear down and the flaps at 35 ( as explained in the tutorial ) I keep getting themessage " to low,terrain,to low,terrain...pull up".This happens with the autopilot on and it is supposed to be an autoland.What am I missing ? And how can I pull up with the autopilot on ? I tried to lower the gear at a lower altitude hoping to reduce drag but same result.Your hints are appreciated.ThanksHubert Werni
Well...I don't know if i can help, even because i've never had this problem!but try pressing B on your keybord to re-set your altimeter from ( or wahtever it is ) 29.92 to 29.07( ex. )I think it's quite a stupid response but i'll try to be of help!

Too Low terrain or pull up means just that, disconnect the A/P apply TOGA thrust and fly the missed approach.You shouldn't be hearing that if your flying the approach correctly. Zurich has very high terrain all around so sounds like you are of track somewhere. You need to fly the approach 'exactly' how it's published in the charts and obey all altitude restrictions or you will end up flying into the side of a mountain.

Rob Prest

Too Low terrain or pull up means just that, disconnect the A/P apply TOGA thrust and fly the missed approach.You shouldn't be hearing that if your flying the approach correctly. Zurich has very high terrain all around so sounds like you are of track somewhere. You need to fly the approach 'exactly' how it's published in the charts and obey all altitude restrictions or you will end up flying into the side of a mountain.
How can I be off track when using the proper ILS and Glide Slope ?

Hi Hubert,a screenshot of the situation could be more helpful then quizzing around.If taking screenshots open CDU in FP mode and place it where it doesn't covers your panels.regards

How can I be off track when using the proper ILS and Glide Slope ?
If you are correctly on the G/S then what your getting is false GPWS warnings. It haapens in the real world and crew are normally briefed and told to inhibit the GPWS. However I've flown into Zurich a lot using FlyTampa and Mesh and never got a false warning. I've had false warnings at some fields in south America and Africa, the usual cause in FS and the real world is rising terrain on the approach path. GPWS is triggered by the Rad Alt, next time you fly the approach have look at the Rad/Alt and check what it's doing, as long as your visual carry on, if in CATIII Go around unless 100% sure it's false.Regards

Rob Prest

If you are correctly on the G/S then what your getting is false GPWS warnings. It haapens in the real world and crew are normally briefed and told to inhibit the GPWS. However I've flown into Zurich a lot using FlyTampa and Mesh and never got a false warning. I've had false warnings at some fields in south America and Africa, the usual cause in FS and the real world is rising terrain on the approach path. GPWS is triggered by the Rad Alt, next time you fly the approach have look at the Rad/Alt and check what it's doing, as long as your visual carry on, if in CATIII Go around unless 100% sure it's false.Regards
I am on the correct ILS/GlidePath and I even land on the runway.However the landing is not correct due to the "terrain,terrain,pull up" message which occursappr at 500 feet radio altimeter.Also the green box is missing when landing indicating that something is wrong.What I do not understand is that I have this problem after following the MD-11 tutorial to the letter.Another possible problem L I notice that my speed on the speed tape indicates 220 at touch down andaccording to the datas it should be appr 160.Could this be a reason ? And how can I turn down the sped ?Is it possible to make adjustments to the radio altimeter in case it indicates wrong readings ?Thanks for your suggestions.Hubert Werni

Hubert,It sounds like you are not following the tutorial to the letter, please post some screenshots of the 2D panel on approach and landing and we can point out what your doing wrong.If your not sure how to fly the aircraft in selected or managed speed correctly then it sounds like you need to spend more time with the documentation before flying the tutorial, you at least need to understand the basics of manual and autoflight.Regards

Rob Prest

Hubert,It sounds like you are not following the tutorial to the letter, please post some screenshots of the 2D panel on approach and landing and we can point out what your doing wrong.If your not sure how to fly the aircraft in selected or managed speed correctly then it sounds like you need to spend more time with the documentation before flying the tutorial, you at least need to understand the basics of manual and autoflight.Regards
I really appreciate your help and I will post some screenshots but first I have to learn how to do this.I agree of course that one should first ready and study the manuals which I have not done yet as there are hundreds andhundreds of pages.Then I decided to give it a try with the London-Zurich flight and after that study the manuals in detail.On the other hand I am sure that I followed the London-Zurich tutorial correctly as I checked it many times.And like I said I am almost there except for the landing.Again thanks and I will post the screen shots.Hubert

Hubert,From what you are saying, it sounds like the aircraft thinks it is NOT in landing mode. If that is the case, the TCAS system logic will be different (If its modeled correctly) as it thinks you shouldn't be landing. In order for a correct approach, you should have a green bar. If you haven't it because something is missing, could be a number of things (Approach not selected on the fmc (incorrect v speeds), spoiler not armed, flap settings incorrect etc etc. I've found it's useful to understand the phases of flight as part of also doing the tutorial. Just the tutorial by the numbers really doesn't teach you that much unless you understand it correctly and read the supplemental info for the systems.

Hubert,From what you are saying, it sounds like the aircraft thinks it is NOT in landing mode. If that is the case, the TCAS system logic will be different (If its modeled correctly) as it thinks you shouldn't be landing. In order for a correct approach, you should have a green bar. If you haven't it because something is missing, could be a number of things (Approach not selected on the fmc (incorrect v speeds), spoiler not armed, flap settings incorrect etc etc. I've found it's useful to understand the phases of flight as part of also doing the tutorial. Just the tutorial by the numbers really doesn't teach you that much unless you understand it correctly and read the supplemental info for the systems.
That makes all sense but I still cannot understand why my flight London to Zurich does not work.After all it seems one has only to program the FMCU properlyand then follow the tutorial.I made a list,point by point what has to be done and then proceeded with this checklist.No success so far and I wonder if the tutorial left something out.Has anybody done this flight and what was the result ?? Thanks Hubert

That makes all sense but I still cannot understand why my flight London to Zurich does not work.After all it seems one has only to program the FMCU properlyand then follow the tutorial.I made a list,point by point what has to be done and then proceeded with this checklist.No success so far and I wonder if the tutorial left something out.Has anybody done this flight and what was the result ?? Thanks Hubert
Hubert,The past few days several good advises were past on to you by several people here. But you wonder if the tutorial left something out?Want to see my result doing this tutorial flight?Please be aware I have flown this stretch before, but now I have pretended to know nothing about the aircrafts' system operation. I just pushed buttons and also neglected the {ADD DRAG] advice stated in the tutorial. This way I am gradually becoming above the FMS calculated descent path.Doing so the problem starts between GIPOL TRA/xx where I extend Slats and Flaps15 rightaway.Due speed protection FMS speed control is lost. When continuing the approach this way, without having an idee how to regain the speed to FMS speed I end up on short final as shown in this picture. Also in a few moments the GPWS will start to give terrain warnings.No, I don't have time to tell all the details.Please use the picture AND the MANUALS to learn something about speed indications and modes, also in relation to the configuration.Lots to do indeed, but also lot of succes!Regards,Harry

I have had this happen only when I reloaded a saved flight (usually on decent) during approach practice. Somehow it doesn't reload properly and the aircrafts flight management isn't in the landing phase/mode so the GPWS goes bonkers even with everything setup as normal.During flights I depart, cruise and land without loading I have never seen this though.

I have had this happen only when I reloaded a saved flight (usually on decent) during approach practice. Somehow it doesn't reload properly and the aircrafts flight management isn't in the landing phase/mode so the GPWS goes bonkers even with everything setup as normal.During flights I depart, cruise and land without loading I have never seen this though.
I do not really trust reloads and always start from the beginning.I finally managed to land without getting the "terrain,pull up" message.The key seems to be that the IAS speed has to be lowered to 150 and the white IAS knob to be pushed.Only then will thespeed reduce making a landing possible.The tutorial does not mention this,may be because it is so obvious.Now it is time to study the manuals.Hubert Werni