Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

A36 autopilot - mini tutorial

With the Service Update comes a more capable autopilot. Just a couple of hints:I would recommend commenting out the following lines in the autopilot section of the aircraft.cfg file, so that the aircraft can start up in ROL mode when the autopilot is first switched on. [Autopilot]...//use_no_default_pitch=1//use_no_default_bank=1//default_pitch_mode=0//default_bank_mode=0 If you would like to preselect a target altitude while on the ground, here is how to do it: Push FD to turn on the Flight Director. The AP should display ROL and PIT modes. (Pitch mode is the default climb mode for the KFC225) Turn the Altitude knob with the mouse wheel to select the altitude. If you would like to select the climb rate, push VS and adjust the FPM with the UP/DOWN buttons Push ARM. This activates the altitude capture function. Take off! When you've got your gear retracted, push AP to activate the autopilot which will now fly the plane. When in Altitude hold, you can select a new target altitude with the Altitude knob and the airplane will climb or descend in PIT mode. You can adjust pitch with the UP/DOWN buttons. If you prefer to climb in VS mode, after selecting the target altitude, push VS, select your rate, and push ARM to confirm. Yaw damper gets turned on as default by the AP, but can be turned on/off by pushing the YD button.

Bert

In Pitch mode, you change Pitch, not climb rate - so there is no direct correspondence.If you want to set a specific climb rate, use the VS mode.

Bert

...and it maintains the current pitch when the autopilot is activated. So if climbing at 1000 ft/mn it will keep that rate of climb. Thanks Bert!

Guest bstolle

No, because if you continue climbing at 1000ft/min, the climb rate will decrease with increasing altitude if you maintain the same pitch attitude.That's why you have to be very cautious when using vertical speed during climb as the autopilot will keep the 1000ft/min up the point where the plane stalls!Using pitch instead of vertical speed is more safe.

David, the pitch just is the angle your aircraft's nose points up or down. That angle remains steady when you run the AP in the pitch mode and you may change it in some 0.5 or 1 degree steps with 'up' and 'down'.That corresponds to a vertical speed of course, but that's not the value the AP is looking for in that mode, as the guys say.

I meant picth sorry. I wasen't clear, my fault.Picth does have stall protection, it will reduce if near stall speeds, I just checked. I also tought it was somehow related to speed but I was wrong and thank you CoolP for pointing it out.Thank you guys for your answers,