Sign in to follow this  
Jean-Jacques

Windows 7 unexpected shutdowns

Hello everyone,

Background

Two years ago I undertook to build myself a new FSX rig which has worked exceptionally well up until recently.

Issue

I've started getting errors such as MEMORY MANAGEMENT, BAD POOL HEADER, and USER PROFILE SERVICE HAS STOPPED WORKING to name those that I've taken note of and this occurs even when the computer is idle. Once restarted, Windows reports that 'Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown'.

Corrective actions taken to attempt to resolve the issue

1. Cleaned the registry using a freeware utility (Glarysoft Registry Repair);
2. Used the sfc /scannow command to attempt to replace/repair corrupted system files. Windows couldn't repair itself (at least not fully);
3. Repaired Windows (Pro 64) using my retail disk;
4. Thinking that I may have had a bad C drive (Western Digital Caviar 750 GB), I purchased and installed an SSD (ADATA 250 GB) and reinstalled windows. In fact, I've reinstalled Windows three times now. The issue continues to persist.
5. Opened the case to clean the inside and checked all connections (by unplugging them) including taking the memory modules out and replacing them back in their slots.

I continue to be faced with the same issue. I'm not a 'connaisseur' when it comes to computers but I've concluded that probably the motherboard is damaged and should be replaced.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated before I proceed to replace the motherboard which will entail replacing the CPU and possibly the memory modules. My system specs appear under my name in the left column should anyone wish to consult them. Power supply, memory and cooler are not mentionned in the specs, so here's the additional info: Corsair Pro Series Gold AX850, Corsair Vengeance Low Profile Blue 8GB (2x4GB), and Noctua NH-D14.

Regards,

JJ

did you over clock? If so, try going back to default. 

After that try running on 1 memory module and if the problem persists, try running on the other one. 

Could be the memory or something as simple as a power supply issue, perhaps it is the MB.  You've ruled out the HD, what about taking your PC in for a check-up?  

\Robert Hamlich/

Thank you 'outofphaze' and Robert for giving me new leads. Regarding overclock, my first move was to revert to default speed. But I hadn't thought of running on only one memory stick nor had I thought of a 'sick' power supply because it's only two years old. However, I will proceed with these new leads. I'm off to Paris tomorrow but will provide feedback a few days after my return on the 23rd.

Regards,

JJ

Also, make sure the installed memory timings, frequency, and voltage are in compliance with the memory specs.  You can check this with the CPU-Z and, under the SPD tab, look at the timing and voltage tables.  Then look at the memory tab and see if they agree.  If not, you'll have to go into the BIOS and make the changes.  The BSOD's you were getting are related to memory.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi Jim,

Thanks for bringing to my attention yet another point I hadn't thought of. As mentioned above, I'll check that aspect and provide feedback shortly after I get back from my trip on the 23rd.

Regards,

JJ

Oh Paris!  We are going back later this year, have you been there before?

\Robert Hamlich/

Hi Robert,

Missed your post before I left. Just got back yesterday (23rd)! No, I had never been to Europe before. It only took 70 years and 6 hours to get there! I had such a good time that I'm planning to go back sooner rather than later. I have a nephew who works in Paris and took me to Vimy on Saturday. Great week.

Now back to problem solving!

Regards,

JJ

Also, make sure the installed memory timings, frequency, and voltage are in compliance with the memory specs. You can check this with the CPU-Z and, under the SPD tab, look at the timing and voltage tables. Then look at the memory tab and see if they agree. If not, you'll have to go into the BIOS and make the changes. The BSOD's you were getting are related to memory.

Best regards,

Yep, I would totally agree with that.

And watch out for the XMP setting, it may be the culprit. I recently had an issue where my PC would crash  once every week or so.

Got rid of the overclock and XMP settings and no overclock and all was well, so suspected my overclock. I was wrong..  when I entered the XMP RAM settings again but with no overclock it crashed.

It was only after tweaking the voltage and slackening the timings somewhat that the issue was resolved.

The XMP settings can be wrong, or just not ideal for the RAM.

Well this took longer than planned but here's the bottom line. Despite my best efforts and after trying all suggestions, I continue to get random unexpected shutdowns and this even when the computer runs idling. I've completely wiped my C drive (SSD) and reinstalled Windows and a light version of FSX - one addon airport (CYND freeware) and one aircraft (A2A's C172) - to test the system's stablility which is simply not there. I've decided that I have devoted enough time and effort to this and therefore will dismantle my rig and install a new motherboard when the refresh version of Haswell comes out or, wait a while longer and invest in the Broadwell version planned for later this year.

Many thanks to all for trying to help me out. In the meantime, I'll catch up with my reading and refresh my keyboard skill (piano keyboard that is!).

Regards,

JJ

Really sorry you couldn't sort it out Jean. PC's can be such pesky critters at times.