Sign in to follow this  
drum4no1

Am I doing something wrong??

So far I love radar contact but im having one problem. On approach I feel im receiving vectors that make it impossible to intercept ILS. As soon as I turn on to base I get Localizer alive from FDC live cockpit and im still 90 degrees from runway. It seems everytime I never get a vector on to final and I always overshoot. I have rebuilt the scenery file and everything. What could I be doing wrong. The plane is configured and at 175 knots

It sounds as though you're doing things correctly. Base speed of 175kts is certainly slow enough prior to getting the turn to intercept the localiser. What aircraft are you flying?And you say this is at all arrival airports? Care to name a couple?Just to confirm speeds. Maximum 230kts on downwind leg. Max 210kts on base although 190kts is better and 170kts just prior to the localiser intercept. Those are for a 737 and I've never had a problem.If the problem persists create a log and post it to JD. Make sure you select debug prior to starting your flight. Full instructions are in a locked topic.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

you will never get a vector to finalyou will get a vector that will intercept the localizer.make a .log, instructions pinned at the top of the forumbe sure to click debug before loading the .plnduplicate the problemzip up the .log and send it to mejd

Ok maybe I have my terminology wrong. Im on base and I get my vector to intercept the localizer it seems that I barely start this turn and the localizer comes alive. To me it seems im not at the proper angle to intercept and I overshoot. If I engage app mode when LOC is active it seems to not track correctly. Mainly I fly the Wilco 777 and the flight 1 super 80. Will try a few more times, I think I may just need to pause and check my position when I get vectors in order to see the big picture of how im situated. I think I got used to the default atc and its long finals and may have to step my flying skills up.

Hi,I think I got used to the default atc and its long finals and may have to step my flying skills up. I think your last statement covers it. RC will be very different to the default ATC. At 190kts on base you'll have around 1 - 1.5 minutes before the final turn to intercept the localiser. If you're not expecting it so soon you probably aren't anticipating the call.Just keep to around 180kts and start that turn as soon as the localiser becomes active. Alternatively, engage LOC and if it's a decent autopilot it should complete the turn in plenty of time.I'm not familiar with the Wilco 777 or the quality of its autopilot. Switch to hand flying the lateral part and leave the a/p on altitude and see if that helps.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

When I see the localizer starting to move in from the edge, I start adjusting the heading on the AP to the same reading as the localizer course. At the correct speed you should not overshoot very much. As the plane heading gets close to localizer course heading I arm LOC or APP as necessary. This advance turn assists due to bank limitations at the slower speeds. By looking at your navigation display or GPS, you can estimate when you are getting close to the extended runway center line which can also prepare you when to start the turn.On base I add flaps when slow enough to permit sufficient banking at slower speeds if necessary lowering the stall speeds and adding a bit of drag to help slow the aircraft.

drum4no1: You are doing everything correctly. I always fly with FDC Live Cockpit and in order to intercept the ILS perfectly you have to start turning your aircraft on to the correct centerline heading BEFORE your VCP reports "Localizer Alive", sometimes as much as 5 or 10 seconds before. In this case neither RC4 or FDC are in error -- it's really just a matter of, as you said before, refining your flying style.I also have always used FSNavigator (I don't even know if you can still buy it!) open in it's own window. With the "show ILS" option turned on you can see the approach arrows all the way out to 7 or 8 miles from the threshhold, so I always know where my Aircraft is in relation to the final approach. I haven't had to open a chart in years.HTH and --