Sign in to follow this  
Guest tkjake

Geforce4 IRQ

Hello out thereAnyone know what IRQ is recommended for the GeForce4? VisionTek is out of biz and I cant find the docs. I rememberwith the GeForce3 it was a must to have it on a certain IRQ. I just got a new motherboard and everything is in automatic mode right now.RegardsBob G

Hi Bob,Windows XP Home allocated IRQ 16 to mine in August last year - seems to be fine and no conflicts are reported.Mike

In general, the AGP IRQ is eleven (11). Some BIOS have pseudo IRQs, such as the poster that reports his is on 16.If you are using a BIOS and MOBO that has Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) and your BIOS is set to automatically assign IRQs, you can't do much about changing it.And yes, MOBOs with a lot of on-board peripherals will share IRQs and you can't do much about changing that either.

Bob,I recently installed an Asylum GeForce 4 ti4200 by BFG Tecnologies.Great card so far!I believe that the folks who started BFG had previously worked at Visiontek. Anyway, in my installation instructions they recommend IRQ 11.Hope that helps.Howard

Guest tkjake

Hi. I am also using Asylum's GF$ Ti4600 128 card. In the documentaton it does specify IRQ 11 and to be sure that the IRQ isn't shared. When I first installed it, it came up as IRQ 16, shared with my sound card if I remember right. I didn't have any problems with that, but being a nut, I swapped my PCI cards around untill I got the GF$ on its own IRQ. This is the only way to get a dedicated IRQ In windows XP that I know of. The problem is that, although you may have 5 PCI and one AGP slot on your Mobo, your Mobo will probably share IRQ's. I think mine shares the AGP, PCI slot one, and PCI slot 5 if i remember right. Maybe someone else can get into the more techie stuff since thats about my limit. BTW, Love my card with the 43.45 drivers.

Did you have any lack of performance when the IRQ was shared? I noticed recently that my GF4 was sharing the IRQ with my Soundblaster Card. Before switching all kind of cards I wanted to know if I will have any benefit from it.

You might an improvement with less stutters. I would try moving the card to different slots to see if it makes a difference.

Guest cwright

A couple of years ago I had constant lockups in CFS2. Because the sound card was in the slot next to the AGP slot, the sound and video cards shared the same IRQ. After moving the sound card one slot away, Windows automatically assigned a new non-shared IRQ. Result: not a single lockup! Best regards, Chris