Sign in to follow this  
Guest JonP01

DX8.1b... help confirm: flashing textures problem fixed

Guest PaulL01

DX8.1b install, no problems to report and no performance hit! :) as Performance isnt necassarily what DX8.1b is about anyway.As many of you know there has been a long standing Z-buffer problem That at last report was noticed by users of every make of video card in different but not all locations.I know I saw this problem in small increments around Chicago and its airports as well as many other locations.Well, I just did a quick 20 minute flight all around chicago, made all kinds of touch and goes both in a Cessna and a 737 and I am thrilled to report that I could not find one flashing texture! Runways? All stable in all display modes and in all views under hard and soft landings, small AutoGen objects also remained stable! :) Could this be the fix?Please post your results, I should also point out I am still testing the 29.42 drivers as well.And for the what its worth department 3dmark2001se score improved but only ever so slightly and only worth mentioning as its better than taking a hit. :)

Guest mberg

where did you get 8.1b?

Good question. I guess he's beta testing it???Paul, When is your Rochestor scenery going to be completed? I and others are anxiously waiting. :)Julian

Guest gasebah

I am going crazy here. I have a German version of WinXP and the English version of DX8.1b won't install. Next time I buy all the stuff in the U.S.. I am fed up with always being half a year behind.Alex

Hi Paul,I'll have to agree with your observation. Flashing textures gone. Also using the 29.42 drivers on a GForce 2 pro.ED

Flashing is gone also.Pentium 4 1.4GHZGeForce 3 Ti200512RAMSuperb textures. Been flying the Fouga Magister on touch and goes at Montreal Dorval this evening. Just lovely... Autogen is at maximum with Autogenius running the show. I am going flying again !!!

Guest mberg

still checking after I found dx 8.1b in the secret microsoft place--there is a post showing the way. I have noticed that if I use the Dassult Falcon (full version) with add-on clouds I still get a bunch of video artifacts in 3d mode. otherwise, nothing to ring my chime about improvement.Using athlon v77 (new) mb, ddr 256, geforce MMX 440 64mb, 1.4 bios(new bios flash), bilinear filtering, no AA, no T&L and 1000 x 700, 16 bit setting.

I may be wrong but I thought I read this version is for win98/me users and that it's already on XP. yes/no?

Ok!Goin for the install!I'll keep you posted!Ed (The other Ed):-beerchug

I don't know if it is for xp or not. A lot of the files are dated 5/1/02.Ed

This dont sound right??? I extracted to temp folder ran the .exe and it only took maybe 1 second to install a 24meg update?The last time i installed Dx it took a little longer than that. Was that that about the same with you other's?Ed (The other Ed):-hmmm

Hi EdYes this one is screwy. When you first run the program, it unzips it to the windowstemp directory. Then winzip opens up and asks you to unzip it to windowstemp directory again. Next you have to open Windows Explorer and go to windowstempdx8.1b RedistRedist and run dxsetup.exe.Whew,Ed

I found it but it was a developer redistributable. Although it mentions xp Im not sure if this is a good idea for xp users. Not much documentation at this time. I would wait.BobG